Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #57
catmaster1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have owned 3 manual vehicles in my days from cars to trucks. The thing i have gathered from all of them is that every car has its own personality. Some need more rpm to get going and some need less. Bottom line is if you have ever driven a manual for any real time you wont forget how to do it even with a long break. Its like a bike, you never froget how to ride it. And the more you drive it the better you will be at it.
catmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #58
Rock

Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted Virtue View Post
I'm considering changing my order to a stick as well, I'm just a little nervous about doing so. I've never driven one before. You guys seem to all have some great advice. I think tomorrow I will ask a coworker if he can take me out in his old beater that's a stick.
GO for it! I'll tell you right now, you get more of a involved feeling with a manual. A closeness to the car that you can never have with an auto. Also as stated before, you'll control everything the car does, the car doesn't dictate when the shifts come, you do. You want to drop it into second and lay down a little patch of rubber go for it, you just want to cruise around in 6th, go for it. Think of it this way, you save money too as the auto is more expensive hahahaha
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #59
Rusted Virtue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
GO for it! I'll tell you right now, you get more of a involved feeling with a manual. A closeness to the car that you can never have with an auto. Also as stated before, you'll control everything the car does, the car doesn't dictate when the shifts come, you do. You want to drop it into second and lay down a little patch of rubber go for it, you just want to cruise around in 6th, go for it. Think of it this way, you save money too as the auto is more expensive hahahaha
Well I did it. Told the dealer to change it to a manual,drop the sunroof, and with that extra cash I told him to bump me up to the 2ss from 1ss. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Rusted Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #60
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
Quote:
Well I did it. Told the dealer to change it to a manual,drop the sunroof, and with that extra cash I told him to bump me up to the 2ss from 1ss. Hopefully I made the right choice.
Heck yeah you made the right choice!
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #61
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Step 1: Become a member at Standardshift.com - that's a forum all about manual shifting.
Step 2: Come to RI and practice on my VW Rabbit (requires step 3 or something like it).
Stpe 3: Bring me to pick up your new Camaro so I can drive it away from the dealer safely to a low-traffic area where you can then get used to it.

NYC users on Standardshift.com describe NYC traffic as extremely impatient when it comes to waiting for you to launch. Ignore the honking jerks behind you and take your time. You'll get better with practice, but only when you're comfortable with what you're doing.
LOL sounds like a fair trade off... =P

thanks for that website...

Quote:
I'm considering changing my order to a stick as well, I'm just a little nervous about doing so. I've never driven one before. You guys seem to all have some great advice. I think tomorrow I will ask a coworker if he can take me out in his old beater that's a stick.
DO IT!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #62
NightmareSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Originally Posted by Me talking to my wife
Shift, honey.

Shift now.

Please shift.

Stop cruising in 1st gear at 4,000rpm, please.

Why aren't you shifting?

FFS, shift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
I asked my MOTHER...and she said I needed to push and hold the clutch in. Voila! It started...I took my foot off of the clutch... Stall. Great, I thought I killed it.)
HAHA
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #63
NightmareSS

Quote:
Dam right you made the right choice! now you get all the extras of the 2ss and you have more fun with the stick... and for the sunroof...its cool and great to have one but the reverse mohawk looks bad ass and is why im not getting a sun roof...that and because it sticks up outside the car when opened.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #64
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Dam right you made the right choice! now you get all the extras of the 2ss and you have more fun with the stick... and for the sunroof...its cool and great to have one but the reverse mohawk looks bad ass and is why im not getting a sun roof...that and because it sticks up outside the car when opened.
Yeah that is a big turn off for me aswell.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #65
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
You can rely on the LS3 to provide enough torque to make the clutch learnable.

If you decide to over-power the clutch, you will be repairing the car sooner than you think.

Learn how to modulate throttle vs. clutch with patience.

Upshifts are easy. Launches and proper power shifting is not.

Don't forget the need to downshift in the proper rev-range, to avoid cooking the brakes when you do need to slow down.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #66
IsoTorque

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
Go out, by yourself, with no one around, and teach yourself. People suck and get pushy. You gotta learn yourself how to drive your car the way you wanna drive it. The more you relax, the easier it will come.
Totally agree, once you get the basics of driving find a good hill to just start up over and over again. Starting up on a hill when first learning is the biggest pain, namely when someone is on your ass.
IsoTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #67
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Aww man you should of got Automatic with the TapShift. Heard it's very fun and just a smoother ride. I am not great with stick so I got an Auto.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #68
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Hey guys ive been driving stick good since i was 9. But i noticed that i have been told several different things about burning a clutch. Im not sure on this, but when your stopped at a light, does having your clutch down, slowly burn the clutch? ....
Burning a clutch is when you ride it too long just at the point of contact with the flywheel, before it completely grabs... That point where, when you're stopped and just begin to move. You can be rolling 160mph and put the clutch to the floor without damage... burning the clutch=riding the clutch
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #69
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
Go out, by yourself, with no one around, and teach yourself. People suck and get pushy. You gotta learn yourself how to drive your car the way you wanna drive it. The more you relax, the easier it will come.
...AGREED!...that was the only way i really mastered the manual, without anyone "barking orders at me" and making me nervous...i just kept at it until i "got it" and then, it became so "second nature" to me, that i could "drive it in my sleep", i was that comfortable with the manual...

I got the highest compliment from my teenage son...he thinks i am the "best stick driver" he's ever driven with, and that includes my husband and my son's friends...

:( Unfortunately, i had to go with the Auto with my new Camaro, as my joints are not what they used to be and i plan on "drivin' it like i stole it", until i die!!!!!!!!!.......
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #70
Remnant

Drives: Yellow SS/RS custom paint
Ok so I used to rev my engine up to the RPM's I predicted the car would be at in the next gear so, clutch (rpm's dropped immediately to say 1000), rev up to say 2500 while up shifting and then release the clutch while holding the rpm's there. It always felt really smooth while doing so, I just assumed it wasn't bad for the clutch. true/false?

Self taught starting on my short driveway to my street that had a 45 degree slope and bald tires, woah-la I made my first unintentional burn out and proceeded threw BC's rocky mountains.

Advice: If you don't get the chance to practice, avoid hills.
Remnant is offline   Reply With Quote