Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #981
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I have nothing against displacement. I love it. My first love was my first Z/28. But I'm an enthusiast for all aspects of the sportscar, and it annoys me when someone can't concede that there are better ways to make power.

The SS is using said huge engine, and it's gonna be great with TONS of potential for growth. Guess what, most people are going to FI that thing with a blower, some will have the balls to try a turbo and really make it fly. The point is, they got displacement covered. Now strip a 1SS down to barebones, throw in a DI/FI set-up in there...not necessarily a 3.6, maybe a 5.3...and destroy some twisties in that bad boy.
Now DI I could definitely go for!
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #982
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Make a Z28, whatever the price, and make it be the flag of the brand (corvette isn't chevy anymore ..). NO need to sell thousands of Z28 ... it's just about having a flag
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #983
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It makes sense when given the history of a low-displacement, race-tuned performance car. A twin-turbo V6 or I6 would be a great Z28.
Ewww. No. Give it a 302 or 327 V8. The Z28 is muh more deserving of a small displaement V8 IMVHO.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #984
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
FIRST - everyone calm down and be respectful; this thread is close enough to at least getting merged, let alone shut down if people are going to be disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
ok this video pisses me off. i wish GM would give a straight answer. I have my deposit down on my 2SS, and im going to have to sign my life away to the bank for that car. If there is going to be a V8 SS coming out i would like to know so that i can wait for it, if not im going to buy this model. i would be choked if i bought it and a few months later hearing about a z28 model coming out.
Although I could agree with your emotions, IMVHO, there's no way they're coming out with one soon, let alone a few months. I'm thinking at least a couple/few years before anything comes up. Get your SS and enjoy it If I could afford one, I would, because I don't know about waiting for a Z28, especially right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Well the main reason I'm thinking the di v8 is that's the direction gm seems to be going with their engines. And then u look at what the original Z was. And due to cafe I personally don't see the lsa or ls9 in the camaro and the ls7 is on it's way out the door. So yea. Gen V motor seems logical if they keep the v8 setup for a Z28. Just think about it cafe is going to kill most of those engines. Which sucks because they're beautiful engines. But oh well. Only time can tell.
IMVHO, I think you bring up good points, especially with the CAFE stuff. I don't know how long until their R&D on the LS9 and LSA will be totally recovered, but I can easily see what you mean. It makes total sense to me. I don't think displacement is going to grow anymore, and can see it dropping from where it's at now. However, I have to wonder how a limited run of these FI 6.2s would affect CAFE averages for a company like GM (size-wise). If Camaro already has a rating of 27 MPG for the V6 and 4 or 5 less for the V8, would a relatively small run of 20 to 21 MPG FI V8s really hurt much. I can do the math and average the three but does CAFE only look at the model with the best mileage, the entire model line, or a combined average of every car made by the manufacturer? If just doesn't seem likely that all that time and engineering for these engines and not get a return on them, because limited runs of ZR1s and CTS-Vs couldn't justify all that development time and cost, I'd think. Traditionally though, those are very strong points

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
You're right! GM, stop worrying about going bankrupt and get us an answer on a car that will fail CAFE standards horribly! The market for Z28 buyers is incredibly small and your money is spent better elsewhere currently and the V6 Camaro is where you'll be turning a profit but we don't care about that, make a supercharged version now!!!

Seriously people, give the Z28 a rest. GM is in VERY BAD SHAPE. Be happy you're even getting the SS right now.
although I wouldn't have put it as harsh. Let's focus on the here and now (well, next several months) and enjoy those LS/LT/SSs

Quote:
Granted the Camaro has always been N/A. but let's review what you are calling rice:

The GMC Typhoon and GMC Cyclone
The Buick Grand National.
The Ford Lightning (you said if it's not N/A it's rice)

I could go on but you get the point. Stop being a redneck.
Though the name calling isn't appropriate, these were and ARE bad @$$ cars.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #985
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

IMVHO, I think you bring up good points, especially with the CAFE stuff. I don't know how long until their R&D on the LS9 and LSA will be totally recovered, but I can easily see what you mean. It makes total sense to me. I don't think displacement is going to grow anymore, and can see it dropping from where it's at now. However, I have to wonder how a limited run of these FI 6.2s would affect CAFE averages for a company like GM (size-wise). If Camaro already has a rating of 27 MPG for the V6 and 4 or 5 less for the V8, would a relatively small run of 20 to 21 MPG FI V8s really hurt much. I can do the math and average the three but does CAFE only look at the model with the best mileage, the entire model line, or a combined average of every car made by the manufacturer? If just doesn't seem likely that all that time and engineering for these engines and not get a return on them, because limited runs of ZR1s and CTS-Vs couldn't justify all that development time and cost, I'd think. Traditionally though, those are very strong points
I'm looking at what the gov. might make them do to get these loans they are asking for. if the gov. says jump they will say how high? if they say drop the huge displacement v-8's then they will. right now it's about survival and that's why I'm leaning more towards the DI V-8's. I believe they are going to be here sooner then later because of this BS with the gov. Especially if Obama has his way. but that's a different topic all together.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing either a FI V-8 or a DI V-8. just as long as it handles even better then the SS.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #986
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Absolutely; as long as it doesn't handle like a pile, I'll be quite happy. We're just going to have to hold our collective breath ***gulp***

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #987
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Redneck Pride!
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #988
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^LOL
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #989
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
CAFE- Company Average Fuel Economy.

Having a few Z28s running around with 15mpg will not hurt any CAFE regulations. GM will be selling a lot more 4 cylinders than anything plus the Volt if its successful (40 miles for ZERO gallons, but of course 40Grand is a little expensive).

CAFE calculations are per volume of built cars.
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #990
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Granted the Camaro has always been N/A. but let's review what you are calling rice:

The GMC Typhoon and GMC Cyclone
The Buick Grand National.
The Ford Lightning (you said if it's not N/A it's rice)

I could go on but you get the point. Stop being a redneck.

The Camaro has never had a turbo 6 or turbocharged 4 in it so thinking it will turn into a rice machine makes me sick , the gmc cyclone , buick grand national and ford lightning are NOT THE CAMARO and don't have the prestige heritage of the Camaro ,have you seen a Ford Lightning sell for 2.2 million dollars no , but a 1969 427 YENKO Camaro IS WORTH THAT MUCH and was sold at barrett jackson , see the Camaro is in a league of it's own and must be respected and not compared to lower grade cars not saying the grand national is not a cool car but it's not at the level of the Camaro so 4 bangers and 6 bangers just will not do in a car of that stature sorry
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #991
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
yeah... i think this is to the point of needing to be merged.

my thoughts remain the same as on the other Z28 thread - the Gen V engine is showing promise and has more potential than the Gen IV, so i don't see why IF a Z28 comes out, GM wouldn't use it as a launch car for it. besides, i think that even as good as the TT V6s of today are, a Z wouldn't get away with having one. if the GM designers are wanting to build on the heritage of Camaro with the 5th Gen, it would be counter-productive to offer the epitome of affordable GM power in V6 mode.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #992
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
You want a Japanese drivetrain, buy Japanese.

Also, not saying that if someone TT's their LS/LT camaro, that wouldn't be sic. The typhoon, cyclone, GNX, and 89 T/A were bad ass and unique for their time... and if GM redid the Grand National with this setup, that could turn out pretty sweet... but not a Z-28, are you f-in kidding me???
This is a 2010 model year car. By now shouldn't we get over the whole "Ricer" language. If a twin turbo will do the job of a NA V-8 while saving fuel and weight, then why not do it. Its this type of thinking that has GM in the trouble they are in today. Just apply the same "Ricer" mentality to production and labor.

I personally don't care whether or not its a naturally aspirated or forced induction. I would like to see forced induction.

By the way my first car was a 1969 Camaro with a V8 over 25 years ago. So I've been around this stuff for quite some time.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #993
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
yeah... i think this is to the point of needing to be merged.

my thoughts remain the same as on the other Z28 thread - the Gen V engine is showing promise and has more potential than the Gen IV, so i don't see why IF a Z28 comes out, GM wouldn't use it as a launch car for it.
Merge the threads. This is another impassioned discussion about the Z28. A lot of people seem to be saying the same things in all of the Z28 threads, so it might not hurt to consolidate them so that we can move forward instead of repeating ourselves.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #994
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Merge the threads. This is another impassioned discussion about the Z28. A lot of people seem to be saying the same things in all of the Z28 threads, so it might not hurt to consolidate them so that we can move forward instead of repeating ourselves.
What about having only Z28 threads to make F-Bodfather understand we want one?