Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
K&N vs Airaid

Can someone tell me which one is better, also ease of installation. I have a magnaflow exhaust system already and just trying to "open her up" a little more.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
RED10LS

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS Silver
They are both easy to install but the Injen works alot better in my opinion
but is a little more dificult to install. It took me about 2 hours. There are about 3 or 4 threads on here about these intakes search them out.
RED10LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
Can someone tell me which one is better, also ease of installation. I have a magnaflow exhaust system already and just trying to "open her up" a little more.

Tons of threads about this already. do a , or check out the performance thread at the top of the v6 engine forum.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
If your a bit on the fence about deciding on a CAI..do what I'm going to do and wait the the Jannetty test comming up in a couple weeks.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just do some looking on the first page of threads in the V6 section.

But if I had to choose right now between those two, I'd go with the AirRaid (version 2)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
RaspyRon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

But if I had to choose right now between those two, I'd go with the AirRaid (version 2)
I went with the K&N over the AirRaid because of the problems that I read about the AirRaid tubes. I know that they have come out with a replacement that seems to be improved over the original. Just wondering why you would choose the AirRaid over the K&N.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro IOM
Send a message via AIM to PieManMighty
Go K&N

Check this thread...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...13#post1894513
PieManMighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'd choose the AirRaid v2...mainly b/c I feel that there's more evidence that it performs well.

I'm NOT saying the K&N doesn't perform well, but all we have is a dyno from the manufacturer, and then of course several satisfied customers. Thats a very positive thing, but is some of it the placebo effect?

There is also a thread from a K&N user that noticed his K&N had issues, until he modified it, and changed out his stock water reservior location, and it wasn't until after that, that he noticed a real nice improvement.

I feel that after the dissapointment that was AirRaid v1, the company has really dedicated themselves to developing a new version that really does perform well. David from AirRaid has gone above and beyond in my opinion to try and satisfy us here on the forums, and while I don't agree with all that he has stated, I appreciate what he has done. They can't mess up again...or can they? Beta testers have reported noticeable improvements, and we have a dyno sheet from a Camaro5 member, and he very quickly put up the AirRaid for testing in the Jannetty test.

Add it all up, and I guess at this point I just trust that AirRaids product will perform to the best that they could produce. But again, I'm not flat saying that "i know" it will perform better than K&N, b/c I really don't know.

Sorry the the lengthy response!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
RaspyRon

KMPrenger...good post. I have read some of your post before and it seems that you really do some research before you purchase. Thats why I was wanting to know your thoughts on the intakes. Like I said I purchased the K&N and have been happy with it and yes part of it is the placebo effect. I also was impresed with the dyno even though it was done by the manufacturer I really didn't expect the gains that were stated. I think that the name "K&N" also had a play in my decision. I too am looking forward to Jannetty's test.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Buy whatever you like the looks of better. They are all pointless from a performance standpoint.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspyRon View Post
. Just wondering why you would choose the AirRaid over the K&N.
Hello RaspyRon,

Even with the “Performance” numbers aside, the difference in the Quality of components and the overall fit and finish alone is night and day. Our AIRAID Premium filter also offers far superior filtration and is also backed by our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty.

If you had both systems on a bench and assembled them both, you can clearly see the difference in Quality, not to be rude, but there is no comparison between the two.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
RaspyRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello RaspyRon,

Even with the “Performance” numbers aside, the difference in the Quality of components and the overall fit and finish alone is night and day. Our AIRAID Premium filter also offers far superior filtration and is also backed by our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty.

If you had both systems on a bench and assembled them both, you can clearly see the difference in Quality, not to be rude, but there is no comparison between the two.

Thanks,
David
Hi David,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunatley us as consumers don't always have the chance to make side by side comparisons. Thanks for all of the info and advice you give on the site. It's always good to have a vendor that is willing to particapate in a fourm like this to help educate us. I will keep your company in mind for any possible future purchases. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspyRon View Post
Hi David,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunatley us as consumers don't always have the chance to make side by side comparisons. Thanks for all of the info and advice you give on the site. It's always good to have a vendor that is willing to particapate in a fourm like this to help educate us. I will keep your company in mind for any possible future purchases. Thanks again.
Hello RaspyRon,

I completely understand and I know only looking at pictures on the internet is very hard to sometimes tell the difference between systems, especially considering the Quality.

At the Camaro fest this year, that was probably most common thing I heard compliments on. People were shocked at how large the air box was and how nice the quality is compared to other systems on the market. Sometimes it takes having to actually "Feel" the difference to really appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello RaspyRon,

Thanks,
David
I really don't want to get into an argument here and I have no loyalty whatsoever to KN, but I have to take issue when you say the quality of components and fit and finish are beyond compare. I put together the KN and it had solid tubing, tight sealing rubber gaskets, solid airbox, and a KN filter, which are among the best there are. Now I don't see how much more you could really ask from a part that just sits there and directs air. I mean this isn't something like a spring or coilover where it's supporting the weight of the car. It doesn't need to be incredibly strong.

I guess if your "quality" is so much better, my question to you would be, why? To anyone thinking about the KN or any other intake, don't be scared away thinking this is some cheap thing that's gonna shatter if you touch it. It is very solid, I haven't seen or "felt" the Airaid in person and maybe it is made of some space age material, but I guess I don't see the point (other than maybe heat dissipation, but again that's performance which you clearly discounted in your first sentence).

Now if you wanna say that it is higher quality from a performance standpoint, I'm open for that debate. My hunch is both of these systems provide little to no gain, and Airaid very well might have gotten the better system, albeit on the second time around (which I applaud you for doing out of your pocket )

KN has a lifetime warranty as well, as well as a HP increase money-back guarantee. I get that you are proud of your product, but I take issue to you implying KN is cheaply made or poor quality. It's simply not. It's a tube, some tight rubber seals, great filter, solid constructed box, i.e. what an intake is supposed to be.

Your design might be better, but that wasn't the issue here.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
FirstCamaro2k10

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I really don't want to get into an argument here and I have no loyalty whatsoever to KN, but I have to take issue when you say the quality of components and fit and finish are beyond compare. I put together the KN and it had solid tubing, tight sealing rubber gaskets, solid airbox, and a KN filter, which are among the best there are. Now I don't see how much more you could really ask from a part that just sits there and directs air. I mean this isn't something like a spring or coilover where it's supporting the weight of the car. It doesn't need to be incredibly strong.

I guess if your "quality" is so much better, my question to you would be, why? To anyone thinking about the KN or any other intake, don't be scared away thinking this is some cheap thing that's gonna shatter if you touch it. It is very solid, I haven't seen or "felt" the Airaid in person and maybe it is made of some space age material, but I guess I don't see the point (other than maybe heat dissipation, but again that's performance which you clearly discounted in your first sentence).

Now if you wanna say that it is higher quality from a performance standpoint, I'm open for that debate. My hunch is both of these systems provide little to no gain, and Airaid very well might have gotten the better system, albeit on the second time around (which I applaud you for doing out of your pocket )

KN has a lifetime warranty as well, as well as a HP increase money-back guarantee. I get that you are proud of your product, but I take issue to you implying KN is cheaply made or poor quality. It's simply not. It's a tube, some tight rubber seals, great filter, solid constructed box, i.e. what an intake is supposed to be.

Your design might be better, but that wasn't the issue here.
Well said, and couldnt agree more, I got the K&N mainly because of there warranty, because they warranty there product, and your engine, and stand behind you, if the dealer tries to start some BS. My Typhoon intake is very well made, and couldnt be happier.
FirstCamaro2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote