Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro IOM
Send a message via AIM to PieManMighty
HID 8000K Headlights & Fogs

Installed my HID H138K 8000K Headlight Kit today. Also installed the 5202 LED Cool White Fog Lights.
Purchased them through AAC @
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...arohidkit.aspx

Def. Worth the purchase, they really make a huge difference, Check out some of the pictures below, especially compared to the Stock Photo. I'm happy with it

One note, after the install the check engine light came on briefly, so I disconnected the negative lead to the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnected it and it cleared... just a Lil FYI.
Attached Images

PieManMighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
WOW....you took of the front nose to install this? Seems like a little overkill....although I'm sure it made getting to the fog lights easy enough. I wasn't told about removing a couple of the inner fenderwell screws to get access to the fogs...I came from underneath and it was a super PIA to get them in. Even when I called AAC during my install they didn't mention this...so I think I must have been one of the first they dealt with that wasn't putting Halo rings in them.

Do you think the 5202 fog light bulbs match your 8000k lights? AAC told me they would match up just fine but they don't match at all IMO. You can see a significant difference in the fogs vs 6000k lights (which I ended up with) so I can only imagine that with 8000k there is a pretty big difference.

I'm probaby going to end up buying some 6000k fog lights because the difference in the AAC 5202 and anything above 4300k just look to far apart for my taste.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=install

They have these for the 6000k but you might be able to find them for the 8000k http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2062173
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
hmm since I did my headlight install with the LED signal lights I'm getting a "check turn signal message" I wonder if disconnecting my battery for a bit like you did will fix that up.

looks great man!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
hmm since I did my headlight install with the LED signal lights I'm getting a "check turn signal message" I wonder if disconnecting my battery for a bit like you did will fix that up.

looks great man!
Since you replaced the bulb with LED, you cut down the power draw when in use. Therefore the car thinks your bulb is burned out. more technical explanation I'm sure, but that's the jist of it.
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I would love to put these on mine, but I do not want to take the nose off.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
You don't have to take the nose off. You can add the HID kit in about 30 min without removing anything but the factory bulbs. The fogs take a little longer and even though removal of the front nose would give you the ultimate accessibility you can get to them fairly easy but removing some of the screws on the inner fender well, pull back the fender well, and remove the fogs from there.

Since you have an RS then you already have HID headlights. If you wanted 8000k lights instead of 4300k lights I would bet you would just have to change the bulbs out. However you would need to talk to someone like AAC or BfXenon to answer that.

Your fogs on the RS on the otherhand are halogen but you can replace those if you want. AAC and other places sell the replacement bulb that should match your factory 4300k HID lights just fine.

The 5202 fog light bulbs that were used would look just fine on 4300k. Anything above that and they don't match IMO.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Musclefreak

Drives: chevrolet camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieManMighty View Post
Installed my HID H138K 8000K hid headlights today. Also installed the 5202 LED Cool White Fog Lights.
Purchased them through AAC @

Def. Worth the purchase, they really make a huge difference, Check out some of the pictures below, especially compared to the Stock Photo. I'm happy with it One note, after the install the hid kits check engine light came on briefly, so I disconnected the negative lead to the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnected it and it cleared... just a Lil FYI.
Man it must have been a pain to remove the front, but in the end looked really nice. Congrats!
Musclefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Since you replaced the bulb with LED, you cut down the power draw when in use. Therefore the car thinks your bulb is burned out. more technical explanation I'm sure, but that's the jist of it.
Yeah That's kinda what I figured the problem was. but I also changed how much power the headlights are using and I havn't had any messages from them yet. It just specifically says to check the signals. My passenger light factory harness is completely unplugged from anything, I thought that would give me more of an error message.

I was thinking about adding a resistor to raise the power consumption to get rid of the error messages, but it'd be a bit of work to figure out what resistance to use.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
The nose is really not that hard to take off.... yea it's slightly tough to get to the bolts up under the fender, but with the right tools you're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
You don't have to take the nose off. You can add the HID kit in about 30 min without removing anything but the factory bulbs. The fogs take a little longer and even though removal of the front nose would give you the ultimate accessibility you can get to them fairly easy but removing some of the screws on the inner fender well, pull back the fender well, and remove the fogs from there.

Since you have an RS then you already have HID headlights. If you wanted 8000k lights instead of 4300k lights I would bet you would just have to change the bulbs out. However you would need to talk to someone like AAC or BfXenon to answer that.

Your fogs on the RS on the otherhand are halogen but you can replace those if you want. AAC and other places sell the replacement bulb that should match your factory 4300k HID lights just fine.

The 5202 fog light bulbs that were used would look just fine on 4300k. Anything above that and they don't match IMO.
I took the nose off because I'm also putting Halo's in so it did require taking the whole front end off to get the headlight housing out
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclefreak View Post
Man it must have been a pain to remove the front, but in the end looked really nice. Congrats!
Thanks... my whole street lights up when i drive down it like whoahhhhh!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Hehehe
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieManMighty View Post
The nose is really not that hard to take off.... yea it's slightly tough to get to the bolts up under the fender, but with the right tools you're fine.

I took the nose off because I'm also putting Halo's in so it did require taking the whole front end off to get the headlight housing out
Yes....if you do the Halos then the front should come off.

I just wanted those that are only going to do the HID to know that you don't have to remove the nose to add them.
Build Journal
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yes....if you do the Halos then the front should come off.

I just wanted those that are only going to do the HID to know that you don't have to remove the nose to add them.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Do you have the white or cool white 5202? The cool white is between 6000K-8000K
I don't know....you never mentioned there was any kind of difference. My guess would be the cool white since I ordered them at the same time that I bought the HID kit (8000k initially) and I would assume you would've suggested the correct one when I ordered it all together.

IMO even the cool white don't match. Look at the OP's original post where he says he has the cool white they don't match. The headlight has an obvious blue tint to it and the fog light is white. I guess they are kinda close if you compare them using the factory Halogen fog lights but not when compared to 6000k or 8000k. Even my wife who doesn't typically care about that kind of stuff said they didn't match and thought they looked better off then on.

Doesn't matter any more....I've got a new set of 5202 bulbs installed that are much closer. Still not exactly the same color but real close to the 6000k.
Build Journal