Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Iroc-Z.com
for love of the camaro...

Drives: 1996 Z28
Problem with limited production...

31 in Oct. of 08 and more later???

There are so many problems with limited production at the release. First, it drives the price way beyond msrp (ie. mazda miata). Which then eliminates 98% of your customer base. And all those people still need cars right?

So here those people are looking at a $40k plus camaro or a $20k chumpstang, or $30k Charger. In the end the only thing Chevy has done is hurt itself.....once again.

And by the time all the hype is over GM will once again be faced with the question 'do we get rid of it again because no one is buying them?' Followed by 'what did we do wrong?' and 'its such a great car, what happened?'.

I would imagine that the people in those Chevey/GM board meetings dont drive the company made cars. Honestly, how many CEO's would drive a camaro? Probably a bunch of BMW's and Benz's in the parking lot. I would love to see a picture of the Chevy headquarters parking lot on say a Monday morning at 9:05am. They could never have the passion for a camaro that we all got as kids growing up.

The camaro business model was always to provide an inexpensive hot rod to the masses that could not afford a vette. Hundreds of thousands were then sold year over year creating one of the greatest auto legacies of all time.

Some where some how, somebody said 'hey lets do it differently now'.....and by 2002 the camaro was dead. Who were the boneheads that caused the demise of the camaro for 7 years? Hopefully working for Ford or Yugo. Imagine 7 years of chumpstangs and no camaro's. Makes me sick.

So here we go again. Even a non camaro person can sense something wrong with the whole thing.

I know this sounds like the glass is half empty. I just yearn for the days of old....when any old camaro with a set of cragar's turned many heads.

I'd rather push a chevy than drive a ford...
Iroc-Z.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Personally I don't believe that those thirty will ever see a dealer lot. I agree with whats been stated here before these thirty are going to be production test cars, just to see if there are any bugs GM needs to get worked out. Or just they possibly could be sent to dealers on a rotation to show the car off.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's just to start...my guess is the thirty will be media-cars, and test dummies - to absolutely make sure everything was done right.

Then they will ramp up production rapidly. Also keep in mind. they may be producing them October - December (again, increasing #'s each month), but Showrooms won't see them untill January/Feburary of '09.

Iroc-Z...did you write that, or was it takien from somewhere?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
One word... relax..

GM has stated that they plan on selling close to if not 100k Camaro's a year.. YES there will be price gouging in the first 6 months.. happens with any new car, doesn't matter if its a Yugo or lambo. Just wait your 6 months and there will be ones sitting on the lots just like the mustangs now.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Iroc-Z.com

Drag...do you mean about the 30 in Oct? Got that from somewhere else. The post and thoughts are mine.

Jeff (Iroc-Z)

Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Iroc-Z.com

I hear you on the relax part.... but by the time the price comes down to earth, hopefully my income will have gone up sufficiently enough to buy a vette.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
One word... relax..

GM has stated that they plan on selling close to if not 100k Camaro's a year.. YES there will be price gouging in the first 6 months.. happens with any new car, doesn't matter if its a Yugo or lambo. Just wait your 6 months and there will be ones sitting on the lots just like the mustangs now.
Agreed 100%....well...except maybe for the yugo part
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
but by the time the price comes down to earth, hopefully my income will have gone up sufficiently enough to buy a vette.
If your income only allows a 30k car when the camaro is released and 6 months later your income allows a 40k car... Why are you complaining?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-Z.com View Post
I would imagine that the people in those Chevey/GM board meetings dont drive the company made cars. Honestly, how many CEO's would drive a camaro? Probably a bunch of BMW's and Benz's in the parking lot. I would love to see a picture of the Chevy headquarters parking lot on say a Monday morning at 9:05am. They could never have the passion for a camaro that we all got as kids growing up.
I'll admit I didn't read that entire post, but My eyes caught this...

Does the name Scott Settlemire mean anything to you?
And though Bob Lutz may not drive one around everyday...I'm sure that he, and Wagoner feel very passionately about this car.

Then...as for BMWs...I don't think so try Cadillac.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
YES there will be price gouging in the first 6 months.. happens with any new car, doesn't matter if its a Yugo or lambo. Just wait your 6 months and there will be ones sitting on the lots just like the mustangs now.
I don't think so. I honestly don't think you'll have a hard time finding a dealer selling this car for MSRP. You're not going to find anyone willing to sell for less, but I think the majority of Chevy dealers will try to avoid price gouging. I don't know if it's like this where you live, but I've got 11 Chevy dealerships within 15 miles of my house. If one of them tries to charge me 2 cents over MSRP, they know I only have to drive a few minutes to get to the next dealership on my list.

For more info, check out the MSRP or below thread. Call your dealers and see what they say.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

That was more of a worst case scenario pencil.. there are dealerships right now that are taking deposits for MSRP only. I already have a plan on how to buy mine.

BTW there are dealerships(of every brand) here in phx that always price above msrp just becuase people do go buy a car with no research..
Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
...becuase people do go buy a car with no research..
That's the core issue. People don't research. they usu. eat what a dealer tells them.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
BTW there are dealerships(of every brand) here in phx that always price above msrp just becuase people do go buy a car with no research..
Hey, that is A-OK with me. It's their own fault for going in unprepared. The dealer can make their profit off of these guys and won't feel so bad about taking the price down below MSRP for me, they still even out.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
We have a thread dedicated to MSRP and below dealers. I'm sure people will keep updating that so forum members and guests alike don't get gouged. =)