Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #57
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Do it!

I know the sickness. I average 1.5 cars/year since I got my license 22 years ago. I don't even wanna count the motorcycles. I was tired of the Camaro 6 months into owning it. This is my 6th Camaro. I have never owned a Mustang but always loved them. I test drive a Mustang every year, mainly Roush and Saleen, and when dealer is nice, a GT500 as well but just when I get ready to buy one, I end up getting something else. I see myself in a GT500 soon though.
Go for it!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #58
bzzzz

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAMARO
sometimes when people get on ritalin they aren't distracted so much by outside noise and stimuli and can focus more on what they have right in front of them.
bzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #59
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzzz View Post
sometimes when people get on ritalin they aren't distracted so much by outside noise and stimuli and can focus more on what they have right in front of them.
It didn't work for me though. It actually expedited my want to replace what I had in front of me because being able to focus on the same thing (object) too long made me realize quicker how bored I was with it. Glad it is working for you though.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #60
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
why not wait for the Z28?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADNESS View Post
The price :(

It's only going to be around 50Kish. If that's too much, maybe you should just keep the camaro
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #61
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADNESS View Post
Superfly03- One of my good buddies has a GT500 and ive been in it many times and i agree the interior is rather drab.And i can also agree with the ZERO traction issue lol. But when that supercharger winds up and those tires stick
.................................................. .................................................
.................................................. ....
.................................................. ...................
This is why I suggest the '10+ GT 500's. It is actually what I am looking at buying. I have 2 open on auto trader as I write this. One in Kona Blue the other in Black.

When the wheels grip it is one hell of a ride. The good news is is that it doesn't require a great deal of investment to cure the wheel hop. A new set of bushings, a pair of control arms and you are good. Sure you can add FRPP suspension and other stuff to make it better but you don't have to to cure the traction problem.

DO whatever makes you happy. As long as you are happy with the car F anyone here who rides up on their high horse saying you made the wrong call.

I do caution against the 07-09 ones. Make sure the TSB related to the clutch/flywheel warping has been dealt with before buying the car. I had my clutch blow at 14k miles (it was an early early build in 07) and I was 3 weeks out of warranty so I had to replace it myself. I ended up with a Spec clutch stage 3 but I should have gotten the 3+.

The reason I won't look at '11 GT500's is cost. A '11 GT500 w/ SVTPP is $13k more than a used '10 GT500. To me, the aluminum block and SVTPP isn't work $13k. Do I plan to drag mine or race it some day? Sure... but I'm not out throwing down pinks or betting cold cash on the races so as long as I have fun/survive... I don't care.

Think about it, test drive it and make the decision yourself.

Oh yeah, and '10+ have Sync. I'm addicted to cars w/ iPod integration. Long road trips across Texas get a bit boring w/o my iPod connected (even with XM/Sirius). '07-09 have 0 iPod integration.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #62
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post

DO whatever makes you happy. As long as you are happy with the car F anyone here who rides up on their high horse saying you made the wrong call.

Do I plan to drag mine or race it some day? Sure... but I'm not out throwing down pinks or betting cold cash on the races so as long as I have fun/survive... I don't care.

EXACTLY
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #63
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackenedSS View Post
The money you will lose on the trade in alone would be enough to beef up the Camaro well past stock GT500 numbers. But hey, your the one stroking the check not I.
Since he trades his cars almost every three months money is not an issue...

Get the GT 500.....sweet ride...........
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #64
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Not sure how the GT500 is easier and cheaper to get power out of. Isn't the GT500 already supercharged??? ITs base price is alot more then a Camaro 2SSRS as well, even add a super charger, CAI, LT Headers, High flow cats and a quality custom exhaust and you would SPANK the performance of the GT500 and probably still have less invested in the camaro.

The GT is lighter and geared lower which will make up for some of its performance level but those are pretty easy upgrades on a camaro as well for the investment you would have into a GT500.

Now, if you get a really good price on a used car, thats a different story but to my way of thinking, why would someone by a car like this???? To drive the hell out of it and then you get whats left over.

If you got a hair for a GT500, by all means go for it but I do not understand how you can say that its easier and cheaper to get the power you want. YOu own your camaro, another $8500 and you could have a supercharger with water/meth injection system and have some scary power and in most opinions around here, have it in a car that looks much better then the stang.

Do whatever floats your boat!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #65
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Please do it and turn in your bowtie as you leave.
Seriously.

LOL +1

Its all about taste... you just seem like a fickle dude and dont know what the heck you want!!! doesnt seem like you will be content with anything for very long!!

I just rode in a 2010 700rwhp GT500 is was nasty!.... but im not trading in my Camaro for it, i respect the ride but i know what i like!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #66
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
The LS3 cant compete with the GT500's purpose built motor. You would have to get a built motor and a supercharger or turbo kit to compete reliably. Thats what he means buy it being easier and cheaper. All you have to do on the Gt500 is turn up the boost and a few small fuel parts.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #67
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Buy what you want.

But I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say when Chevy unleashes the snake killer, there'll be a LOT less of these types of posts.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #68
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Buy what you want.

But I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say when Chevy unleashes the snake killer, there'll be a LOT less of these types of posts.
Ture, but the z/28 wont work for the OP due to the price. There's plenty on low mileage, garage queen 07-09's on the svt and shelby forums for low 30's, throw on a pulley and DR's on it and enjoy high 10's
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #69
BADNESS

Drives: 2010 SS
Well guys I went out and drove a 2008 gt500 with low mileage and in overall very good condition. I am surprised to say that I did not like it... The car itself handled worse then my Camaro. The steering feel was horrible compared to the Camaro. And the car felt like it only did well in a straight line. I hate to beat a dead horse by saying that but im pretty convinced its true. The steering wheel felt like it had way to much play before the car actually started going in the direction I wanted it too. Felt less stable at higher speeds then the Camaro.Overall I think the Camaro is a lot better of a car then the old style GT500. Im sure if i had driven a 2010 or 2011 I would feel different but seeing as how im not looking to spend that much money its safe to say im keeping the Camaro and doing more work to it. And Even with the Magnaflow exhaust it had , sounded kinda wimpy compared to my car

2SS/RS LS3
-Intake , Tune ,Thermostat, Exhaust, Hurst Shifter
-Eibach Pro Kit, Forgestar F14, 275/315 Pirellis.
BADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #70
chain777

Drives: Slow
Good choice. I wouldn't consider a GT500 unless it was a 2011. The old ones are too nose heavy. Even then, I'd probably rather have a Boss, unless drag racing is your goal.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote