Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
MS3DALE


 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,271
1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit

I didn't know about this being part of the 1LE package,theres no mention of it in the brochures I've seen....

Camaro 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit

The increased handling performance of the 2013 Camaro with the 1LE performance package can generate some off-road or track conditions where engine oil can be ingested into the air cleaner through the fresh air tube that connects the port within the right valve cover to the air cleaner. The Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) oil separator kit can improve this condition. It’s a standard part of the 1LE performance package.

The kit (part number 12653073) is included with other packaged components in the vehicle. It should not be installed during PDI at the dealership. The kit and instructions should be kept in the car. Owners are responsible for installing the oil separator in the car for track use.

The kit is designed for off-road or track use only. The production PCV system should be installed back on the vehicle when driving on public roads.

The kit is not designed for winter driving conditions (ambient temperature should be above 32° F, 0°C).

Kit Contents

The PCV oil separator kit includes:
• Main housing (Fig. 7, A)
• PCV cap/plug (Fig. 7, B)
• Connecting tube (Fig. 7, C)
• Instruction sheet


Fig 7

The kit instructions cover how to remove the PCV tube that features quick connect fittings (Fig. 8), installing the PCV cap/plug over the valve cover PCV port, and installing the PCV main housing in the oil fill neck in the valve cover. (Fig. 9)


Fig 8


Fig 9

For information about other available Chevrolet Performance parts, visit www.gmperformanceparts.com.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,290
This is the first I've heard of it. We've seen them in pics from magazine reviews but weren't 100% sure they would make production. I wonder why the chose to release this info so late? Oh well, thanks for the info.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
OzzySS

 
OzzySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: jax, FL
Posts: 1,335
so...it's only for track days, but why? i don't really understand the difference between this and a catch can.

this is also the first time i've heard mention of it being included
OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,000
What a coincidence with both start threads on this minutes apart!!!! Lol. moderators should orobably combine them.

Anyhow, cant wait to see one open to see how it works. I hope its something like the grimmspeed, with the inlet just coming straight from the case in the filler tube.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,850
Wonder why the temperature restriction? Do the aftermarket catch cans have this same restriction? Never noticed.
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust SOLD! Now in a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, M6
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
james347
 
Drives: 2006 Crownline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: .
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Wonder why the temperature restriction? Do the aftermarket catch cans have this same restriction? Never noticed.
Yeah, what is with the temperature restriction? And why not use it all the time? I would be interested in someone taking a closer look at that design. *cough*cough*...RX/Tracy....and provide analysis.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,661
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
Yeah, what is with the temperature restriction? And why not use it all the time? I would be interested in someone taking a closer look at that design. *cough*cough*...RX/Tracy....and provide analysis.
Legal reasons, I'd bet more than anything.

Off-Road: I'd bet this part lowers the overall effectiveness of the PCV system...there might be a federal or state reg that requires this to be considered an "off-road" part.

Temperature: If there's even a snowball's chance of oil freezing in the lines of this thing, it would render the PCV system non-operational...which is illegal from the factory. In reality...you start the engine, and as soon as the engine bay warms up - it's working again...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Legal reasons...
I think you hit the nail on the head. The .Gov don't play when it comes to emissions.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
This site rocks!! So driving the car hard can cause it to breathe oil. I wonder why?
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
rrpilot
 
Drives: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Flex
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Legal reasons, I'd bet more than anything.

Off-Road: I'd bet this part lowers the overall effectiveness of the PCV system...there might be a federal or state reg that requires this to be considered an "off-road" part.

Temperature: If there's even a snowball's chance of oil freezing in the lines of this thing, it would render the PCV system non-operational...which is illegal from the factory. In reality...you start the engine, and as soon as the engine bay warms up - it's working again...
Oil freezing?? Not on this planet. Oil may get extremely thick but won't freeze except for tar oil which is used in making asphalt. This I'm sure is as someone else said is for legal reasons i.e, EPA. Remember if the EPA had its way racing, track days and V8 engines would be out lawed, they don't believe in fun!
rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,000
Any downside to leaving this onthe car all the time? It would be interesting to install a fuel glass filter or a catch can in series between the intake and the cap to see how well this thing works.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
rrpilot
 
Drives: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Flex
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7765
This site rocks!! So driving the car hard can cause it the oil. I wonder why?
An engine is Basically a big air pump so inside there is tremendous air pressure that is constantly changing. There are vents usually in the heads to help control the pressure. If the engine could not vent to the outside oil pools or packs up in the valve cover area, which then starves the bottom end which we all know is very bad. Way back in the past cars used to just vent to the outside which was not so good for the environment. Emissions is more than what comes out of the tail pipe.

Now in road racing or track use you are adding g forces that are also pooling oil in the valve cover area. The EPA's way is to plumb lines to vent back to the intake so the engine just sucks the oil in and burns it as part of the normal combustion process. Now remember at low engine rpm not much is happening but at higher rpm is where the action is at.
rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
Thought the g forces played a part, thanks. I am going to keep this OEM piece in the plastic and install my RX catch can. This is intresting in that GM has at least in a round about way admitted that burning the oil blow-by on track day is not a good idea.
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpilot View Post
An engine is Basically a big air pump so inside there is tremendous air pressure that is constantly changing. There are vents usually in the heads to help control the pressure. If the engine could not vent to the outside oil pools or packs up in the valve cover area, which then starves the bottom end which we all know is very bad. Way back in the past cars used to just vent to the outside which was not so good for the environment. Emissions is more than what comes out of the tail pipe.

Now in road racing or track use you are adding g forces that are also pooling oil in the valve cover area. The EPA's way is to plumb lines to vent back to the intake so the engine just sucks the oil in and burns it as part of the normal combustion process. Now remember at low engine rpm not much is happening but at higher rpm is where the action is at.
I knew the above in theory sorta but that was a good explanation, good info man. Thanks.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.