Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
home install of VinylGraphics.net Bumblebee Stripes.

Well I've done it and i'm glad i did. waited for the long stripes
for only 259 bux from VinylGraphics.net if figured i would give it a go by myself. (the guys at VG were GREAT to me)
here are the results... i can go into details if anyone would like.

it took me about 4 hours working alone (1 hour a day after work)
i have no experience with vinyl but was very pleased with the kit and results.

just thought i would share with those of you out there on the fence!

ADDED: I just got info from the manufacturer that says not to use any "Carnauba based Wax"... so watch out for those little Carnauba's running across the road if you get these stripes! (watch out for skunks too)
Attached Images

that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612

Last edited by LDGn63; 06-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Wow, awesome
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
looks great

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
easy peasy lemon squeeze?

looks lemony fresh too!
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
rockyz1980
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: SS/RS RallyYellow/BlackStripes
looks great.
rockyz1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
Looks great, but do you mind posting some information about the actual process? I've never worked with decals before, but wouldn't mind figuring it out if it isn't too tough. Thanks in advance!

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That looks shockingly clean for a home install. I've never seen such a clean install from someone who ordered online and had no past experience with vinyl.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
very nice....that's something else for me to consider now.....ughhh. lol Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
My friend, from what I see, you did a heck of a job! If you truly had no prior experience, then you are a better man than me, because I wouldn't even have undertaken the task all by myself!

By the way, those are the right stripes for these Camaros!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
LDGn63

Thanks all! you are too kind.
I guess maybe i lied about the prior experience... i did the gills a week before! ;-)
the gills were done wet... but the rally's were done dry.
(more on that later)
i will say although this is my first vinyl attempt... i am a certified car nut and have done just about EVERYthing else to do with a car including paint/ bodywork, engine, fab, etc, at the hobbyist level.
i will try and write something up as soon as i can.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Excellent install, man! And those graphics look to be of outstanding quality and craftsmanship. There doesn't seem to be a smidgeon of yellow ANYWHERE, even inside the mailslot! Do they extend under the piece inside the mail slot or just short of it?

What a great alternative to painting, these graphics look just as good as most of the painted BB stripes!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Ranger 75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
You are a true artist. If I had tried to put the on, people would ask if a monkey did it.
Ranger 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
that looks awesome. Can you post some pictures that aren't so close?
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
Ristaze

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Can you explain more in detail about how you did the rear with the spoiler?
Thanks in Advance.
Ristaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
you guy have to confidence in your self. If you read the directions and measure once and cut twice attitude you can do a lot. I put through hull exhaust in my boat, which entailed cutting 2 4in holes in boat. I think this something doable, just do your research and ask questions. With that said I would pay somebody to do this though
Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Ristaze

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Another Question!! Flat Black or Glossy? Why so many flat black, is something wrong with the glossy?
Ristaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice Job.....I like the longer stripes WAYYYYY Better!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
My Rally Yellow is on order and I have already talked with a large local shop to get mine painted on. I will be doing the stripes that go into the mail slot like those in the shots above and they will be in a glossy black. I will also have a couple of things airbrushed on the car to set it apart. Not sure what that will be yet but don't want to have too much on the car to take away from it.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
LDGn63

Thank you all for the
I am truly not fishing for compliments. I just wanted to share hope for those that might want to take on this task.
I am 100% happy with the product and support from Vinylgraphics.net… they went above and beyond in helping me feel confident and providing great install pix for me to study. They even said I could buy individual pieces if I boogered one up… this is really nice to know… I thought I was going to need that option when doing the mail slot and hood stripes. (that fading power bulge gets tricky at the front of the hood)
I am about 98% happy with my install performance. I know I could do better the 2nd time around… but at 98% I think I will just leave it at that and not press my luck.
I tried to get quotes from a couple of local shops… one did not have a kit supplier yet ( I wasn’t going to pay for it and then let them risk putting it on)
Another took one look and flat out said "I wont do it."

More pix coming as requested tonight.

Color is Gloss Black (not as shiny as paint but really good IMHO)

These are DRY-INSTALL only stripes… which I was kind of scared by but they are a low tack until you squeegee them.
I really only took a couple of "install pix" because while working alone the vinyl had all of my attention.
One thing that I did notice is that the crest line on my hood is not 100% centered all the way to the windshield… I had to measure from each side of the hood at the back to find and mark center.
The hood stripes are 6" apart so I cut 2 pieces of tape 6" and folded them backwards to find center and then placed the center on the center of the hood. (I did take a pic of that)
The supplied pictures and online instructions let me know what I needed to do the install.

Here is an outline and the order I worked it:
Get a PROFESSIONAL SQUEEGEE. (I got a blue one, whatever that means…?)

Trunk - (with spoiler removed) I started here because I thought it would be a good training ground. The trunk stripes come as one application (all together on one piece) so you do both stripes at once. The pix show taping it in place and using a fornt to back hinge line in the middle of the trunk. Tape at the hinge line and remove the backing to that point and apply 1/2 of the stripe(s). I opted to hinge side to side so that I applied the right stripe fully and then the left stripe… I got lucky. I would do it like the picture showed next time.

Spoiler - what I thought would be easy… wasn’t. I placed the spoiler back on the car with the alignment pin (factory pin) and two nuts finger tight. I lined up the spoiler stripes with the trunk stripes. I bet I spent 15 minutes aligning each one before I had it just like I wanted it. I taped the hinge line side to side and did the top part of the spoiler on both pieces. HERE IS A TIP: place some of the backing paper, that you just removed, between the trunk and the overlapping exposed spoiler vinyl to prevent accidentally sticking the spoiler vinyl onto the trunk vinyl.
I wish I had pictures of the spoiler vinyl before applied because they are not straight cut they kinda have a dogleg to them which makes them become straight once they are wrapped around the spoiler. (very nice design) I then proceeded down the back of the spoiler and it got tricky because of the compound curvature (up/down and side/side) I found that patience is a virtue but a heat gun really helps too. This part was much tougher than I had anticipated.
Next I removed the spoiler and wrapped the front around the edge, and then the back edge… again, a little heat is my friend.

Hood:
Found center, taped both stripes on using the inside line as the hinge for the whole stripe… I just did not think I could do it in 2 sections. I worked the top of the bulge first and then SLOWLY and EVENLY progressed down the ramp of the bulge working back to front and then front to back while holding the loose vinyl off of the hood. This worked really good for me until I got to the outboard front 12 inches of the hood… the vinyl started to try to eat itself! OK well it just started trying to bunch up and crease. I did not use any heat here for fear of stretching the outer stripe… just had a lot of patience.

Front facia - the dreaded mail slot!
I am sure the info and pictures they sent to me are proprietary so I do not want to post it exactly but I will tell you that heat is your friend again. I hinged these side/side and started with the inside to line it up. As I worked to the outside I heated the vinyl ever so slightly and pulled just a little to ensure that the outside lined up so that it all looked like it was out of one piece. HERE IS A TIP (again): place some of the backing paper, that you just removed, between the hood and the overlapping exposed mail slot vinyl to prevent accidentally sticking the mail slot vinyl onto the hood vinyl.
The mail slot area is not pre-cut or cut out… I did that myself…. VERY carefully. I did not cover the yellow 100%... But I've got tricks… the average viewer will never know. If I had been thinking more clearly I would have taken the black plastic thingy out of the mail slot before applying… as it is I just trimmed mine with a razor at the black panel.

If you guys can post ideas for making this all better/easier I welcome input…. In case I ever need to do another one…. Like when my mom (67yo) gets hers!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
Chris-10
Tri-County Camaro Tampa

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
looks great, good job
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
LDGn63

mo pix:
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_hoyt View Post
Looks great, but do you mind posting some information about the actual process? I've never worked with decals before, but wouldn't mind figuring it out if it isn't too tough. Thanks in advance!
+1 I would lke to know too.

EDIT: never mind I see the post now.

BTW LOOKS AWESOME! GREAT JOB!!

Last edited by SummoneR; 06-09-2009 at 12:03 AM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
SS-LS3

Drives: SS-LS2
looks great - could you shoot a few pics from farther away so i can see the whole car - maybe one straight on from front and back.... cant get enough of yellow with stripes....

they look really good!!!!!

dry install - WOW it must have been hard... would you be able to use a slippery liquid to install them?

thanks again for the info on this... i am planning to get stripes for mine and stopping on the hood (like stock factory) is not an option!!!!
SS-LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #24
LDGn63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-LS3 View Post
looks great - could you shoot a few pics from farther away so i can see the whole car - maybe one straight on from front and back.... cant get enough of yellow with stripes....

they look really good!!!!!

dry install - WOW it must have been hard... would you be able to use a slippery liquid to install them?

thanks again for the info on this... i am planning to get stripes for mine and stopping on the hood (like stock factory) is not an option!!!!
thanks again folks.

the kit has a BIG sign in the box that says DRY ONLY... so i did 'em dry.

i'll try to do a better photoshoot soon.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #25
TXInfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Inferno SS
great job. looks very nice