Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I am I the only one that is having a hell of a time keeping the GUARD stuck on the L shape 3m tape? I have zero issues with the tape sticking into the wheel well, but the guard keeps wanting to pull itself off...maybe I need to purchase a small big of 3M as extra cushion as stated above...that is my online complaint.

I didn't care for the look in the front, so I only did the rears...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkeyes069 View Post
You don't need to drill the small holes, but I advise you drill the large ones in the wheel wells for the front guards. The 3M molding tape that's on the GM painted parts keeps the splash guards from moving. The holes are redundant.

That said, your parts may not have had molding tape on them because they were custom painted. If that's the case, get some from you local auto parts store. The part number is in my 1st post. It is applied to the surfaces of the splash guards touching the sides of the car (FRONT: behind the sharp edge that touches the fender/rocker panel, REAR: same area as front that touches the painted bumper surface), not inside the wheel wells.

As for the sharp lip, I added layers of molding tape behind the lip, so the splash guard doesn't touch the fender/rocker panel.

This help at all?

That explains it quite a bit. It seemed funky that the sharp lip I was speaking of was even there as, at first glance, it would appear that the guards would flush better without it. That being said, there is NO tape on that portion and I will be sure to put some on it or have my local dealership do it if I decide to pay them $65 to install them. I'll stop by OReilly's on the way home and see if they got the tape. If not, I'll hit Lowes and get some. I don't mind the ones in the wheel wells, but I wasn't too keen on drilling any holes except for the ones in the wheel well.

Thanks people !!!

Dog
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision14 View Post
Thanks for the details guys! I need these for my 600 ft gravel driveway...it sucks

Yes you do. Don't make me scold you (again) for mud on those awesome IBM fenders... LOL
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Indecision14

Drives: 2011 SS/RS...6SP...IBM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
Yes you do. Don't make me scold you (again) for mud on those awesome IBM fenders... LOL
Too funny, I was just reading your post on the other thread...

When are you getting the flaps installed, send out some pics afterwards!!

I washed it Sunday morning after the scolding....HAHAHA
Indecision14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision14 View Post
Too funny, I was just reading your post on the other thread...

When are you getting the flaps installed, send out some pics afterwards!!

I washed it Sunday morning after the scolding....HAHAHA

...that's hilarious.

If I do it myself, I'll have them on this wknd. If I let our dealership do it for me for $65, then next Tues. I will definitely post pics on the Official IBM thread - I'm sure you subscribed to that one...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
shortstop4

Drives: '13 Summit White ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
I just bought some painted IBM splash guards and am preparing to mount them soon. Just a couple of questions for those members who have/had these on their car:

1. Did anyone here who mounted the molded splash guards have to drill into the "body" of the car on the rear ones? From the directions, it almost looks like you would on the rear ones...

2. Did anyone here avoid drilling for either the front of rear guards and not have any problems with them coming loose or not working properly?

3. Has anyone who has taken these off guards off their car noticed any paint scratching and/or paint wear? I'm sure there will be residue from the stick strip...

4. There is a noticeable sharp lip on the inside of (the front I believe) guards (I will post pics later if needed) where it looks like it touches against the car. I can't tell if this is a leading edge of some kind to help guide them on but it looks like the edge stops where the bottom rocker panel starts. Is this normal for these guards? I'm concered about them scratching my paint.

5. Lastly, the rear guards have no flat front piece to them facing the tire like the front ones have and look like they would collect a lot of grit. Has anyone noticed an accummulation of dirt and grim in the "front" of the read splash guards?

Thanks !!!

Dog

I installed these on my wifes camaro. I drilled on the front and rear. To me, the drilling helps to secure the guard to give it a tight fitting factory look. You dont want the splash guard to have any slight gaps from the body.

I havnt check for any accumulation of dirt on the rears.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
D Day Dog

thanks folks - appreciate the input from everyone.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
dpfast1

Drives: 2010 White and Orange 2SS RS
Has anybody installed the GM splash guards? And, if so could you post pics? I have a white car, and now with all of my paint match issues I know why I had to get orange (white are not available). Thanks!
dpfast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfast1 View Post
Has anybody installed the GM splash guards? And, if so could you post pics? I have a white car, and now with all of my paint match issues I know why I had to get orange (white are not available). Thanks!

I've been waiting for a sunny, above 50 degree weekend to do mine. And I also bought orange guards from GMParts for my SW.

(The painted DefenderWorx fuel door I got from RPI did NOT match at all. )
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
I drilled all the required holes and experienced no problems. I think the guards look good and offer some protection as well.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
To avoid scratching the car where the splash guards come in contact with the body, I applied clear bra to the fenders where the splash guards mount.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Don't go paying a dealer. The install is easy. My hubby did it in just a few minutes. He drilled the holes except the ones you need a special attachment or take the wheels off for. I have had no problems with them staying put or accumulating junk in the rear ones, and I drove all through this awful winter & stormy spring. I have posted pics in lots of similar threads or go to my page on C5 (dpfast1). I am at work & can't post pics from here.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #27
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Mine are installed, and doing their job very well! Dennis did drill into the wheel well to be sure they are firmly attached. I ordered mine through the dealer and got a paint guy to spray them for me with a Dupont paint. I also lined the inside face of the fronts with a protective film.
Attached Images

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
chiped

i took the front one off and have to touch up some chips and then install paint protective film