Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #463
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS & 2013 ZL1 Vert
Got the injectors in this weekend. Next is the fuel pump and then complete the turbos.

Couple of questions from yall that have been here here, done this:

1) I saw that post (somewhere) where the guy went through the backseat and made a door, to do his fuel pump. I have searched and netted no results. Any tips on that?

2) Besides fuel system upgrades, any other mods suggested? Are those Hellion Headers better flowing, worth it? And I've read conflicting results on throttle bodies. Mine is stock.

3) Once I get the fuel pump in and the turbos completed, should I have it towed to my tuner? He's like 10 miles from me. Again, I've read many conflicting opinions on this as well. I've read everything from, "don't even start it," to "the brain will learn the new fuel setup and you're safe to drive a little distance."

I truly appreciate all the advice and knowledge yall share. Thank you.
GAFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #464
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFreddy View Post
Got the injectors in this weekend. Next is the fuel pump and then complete the turbos.

1) I saw that post (somewhere) where the guy went through the backseat and made a door, to do his fuel pump. I have searched and netted no results. Any tips on that?

Do a Google "2010 Camaro fuel trap door" search. You'll see plenty. Best to do with the tank lowered or dropped.

2) Besides fuel system upgrades, any other mods suggested? Are those Hellion Headers better flowing, worth it? And I've read conflicting results on throttle bodies. Mine is stock.

Stock throttle body works just fine - no need to swap that out unless you want to retune a lot and not get any real beneficial results.

3) Once I get the fuel pump in and the turbos completed, should I have it towed to my tuner? He's like 10 miles from me. Again, I've read many conflicting opinions on this as well. I've read everything from, "don't even start it," to "the brain will learn the new fuel setup and you're safe to drive a little distance."

Which fuel system you going with? If it's anything other than a ZL1/CTS-V swap then I wouldn't drive it in that far. Trailer it. The brain (ECU) will not compensate for anything other than fuel trims for cruising.

xx

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #465
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
xx
1) Hahahah, "trap door" is about the only term I didn't search. I'll search now. Besides the obvious spark and fuel, why not eliminate 5 hours of work? Not meant in smart a$$ way at all, just curious.

EDIT - Just watched British guy video where he hacked it to $hit. I think you're right Drek, Ima spend the time and lower it. "Have fun guys, be safe." - FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

2) Awesome, I'll stay stock TB.

3) AUS 850's and Fore DP. I'll trailer it.

Thank you for the help man, no joke.

Last edited by GAFreddy; 08-08-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #466
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
Quote:
1) Hahahah, "trap door" is about the only term I didn't search. I'll search now. Besides the obvious spark and fuel, why not eliminate 5 hours of work? Not meant in smart a$$ way at all, just curious.

EDIT - Just watched British guy video where he hacked it to $hit. I think you're right Drek, Ima spend the time and lower it. "Have fun guys, be safe." - FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

Thank you for the help man, no joke.
I did mine without lowering the tank. Can definitely be done just have to be more careful.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 PM   #467
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

DANG 760, that is legit!!! What are the measurements on that cut and door? I'm guessing you cut real light handed to avoid the wires and tank?

Now I'm 100% torn!!!

I got two daughters under 10, I coach football and I'm now old and fat (thanks wife for your new skill of cooking). 5-6 hours of labor under the car is a lot for time for me.

Last edited by GAFreddy; 08-08-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Trapdoor
Old 08-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #468
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I did this too. The door you can buy from Jegs or Summit or other similar places. The circled area in the picture is where the floor pan and tank touch or almost touch. I can't find my own posting about this...

The first time I lowered my tank. The second time I made the hole. Well worth cutting the hole.
Attached Images

blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:54 PM   #469
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I did this too. The door you can buy from Jegs or Summit or other similar places. The circled area in the picture is where the floor pan and tank touch or almost touch. I can't find my own posting about this...

The first time I lowered my tank. The second time I made the hole. Well worth cutting the hole.
Really? I tried searching every term but "trap door," on the forum search. Nothing game up. Makes sense now.

Man, so appreciate it. I think I'm tipping towards doing this. I'm not too far from a Summit. Ima shoot up there and pick one up! I think this would give me the real options to go bigger if I want, and have a couple hours into the injectors and pump.

If done correctly, any downsides? Can't imagine it would be a structural issue. However, I live in an estrogen ocean, I tend to be wrong on a daily basis.

If I spent half the day dropping the tank, reckon I wouldn't be too interested in ever doing it again! This could be a good or bad thing. Time will tell!

I appreciate all the input from everyone.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #470
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:

Check out my build page - I have pics of it. Use a small Dremel and a thin cut off wheel - go carefully and DO NOT cut deep there are parts of the tank that are directly under the sheet metal. If you take your time and only cut to the depth of the sheet metal thickness.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #471
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Also:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ight=tank+door

The DIY section has some good reads...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:45 AM   #472
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Check out my build page - I have pics of it. Use a small Dremel and a thin cut off wheel - go carefully and DO NOT cut deep there are parts of the tank that are directly under the sheet metal. If you take your time and only cut to the depth of the sheet metal thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Also:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ight=tank+door

The DIY section has some good reads...
Awesome. Thank you.

I'm gonna do it. I have a moderately steady hand, and like the challenge of NOT screwing it up.

I get where the guys that are not for it, are coming from. At first thought, cutting into the metal over a gas tank seems like one of those things to NOT do, but seeing all the ones done well, I gotta try.

This site is legit. I hope I can buy a round of cold ones for all the people that share their knowledge. It's incredibly helpful.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #473
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Found the thread.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9521534

To answer your question, there are no downsides. If you were super OCD, you wouldn't be considering it. If you ever have to change your pumps again for any reason, you'll be glad you did it.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #474
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Found the thread.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9521534

To answer your question, there are no downsides. If you were super OCD, you wouldn't be considering it. If you ever have to change your pumps again for any reason, you'll be glad you did it.
Awesome, I appreciate it. I've been reading through it, a lot of helpful info. Heading to town tomorrow to get a new cutoff tool.

Since marriage and children, I've been downgraded to semi-OCD. Bachelor days, I was meticulous. A house of emotions, barbies, clothes and toys will do a number on a man!
Old 08-10-2022, 12:44 AM   #475
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have the best luck searching when I go to google or another search engine… Type in a few terms and it usually leads me right back here… I hope this helps…

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419632

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497837

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229467

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:47 AM   #476
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I have the best luck searching when I go to google or another search engine… Type in a few terms and it usually leads me right back here… I hope this helps…

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419632

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497837

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229467

Excellent! Very helpful!

I was pondering snips, and it was confirmed someone else was able to do it that way, as well.

I think at the end of the day, I’m a terrible “searcher.” All yall have been extremely helpful. I’ll be posting some pics this weekend of my end result! Wish me luck!

Drek, if I screw this up, you’re more than welcome to take any and all pokes at me!