Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
Changed my mind...

Looks like I'm sticking with my Honda. It's a great car and I got it at such an awesome price...

The Camaro is definitely the sexiest car I've ever seen but I just couldn't sell my current car that I got for dirt cheap for a car that's slower...

Enjoy your Camaros guys! They'll still be my favorite cars on the road! I look forward to seeing pictures of your beauties
Bawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawt View Post
The Camaro is definitely the sexiest car I've ever seen but I just couldn't sell my current car that I got for dirt cheap for a car that's slower...
I don't advocate for selling any brand new car...but "slower" is definitely not the word to use in this instance. At the very, very, very least -- it's too soon to tell.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Well, that's true. But I'm just guestimating from the hp:weight.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Wow you made up your mind in less than 5hrs.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Well, that's true. But I'm just guestimating from the hp:weight.
No, you're guessing from the peak power and weight. The Camaro has a ton more torque under the curve than the Accord does, and will definitely pull on it. Plus, RWD makes a huge difference in fun to drive factor, not to mention with the house pulling first gear on the camaro.

Also, remember that the camaro pulls more than 10% power improvement from just a cold air intake and catback (1,300 from the factory, even cheaper aftermarket). I think you'll end up regretting your choice. And, heavier/higher horsepower cars will accelerate faster at high speeds because after a time, inertia is no longer the determining resistance factor, but drag.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I don't like to quote myself, but refer to this also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Ok, so I used a car performance calculator to come up with some numbers. I know its not 100 percent accurate, but it seems pretty close to what I would have expected. The biggest factor to the times is the shift time - not sure how fast the auto shifts, and each driver will shift in a different amount of time using the manual. But - heres what I came up with. I only had time to do the V6, since its the only real dyno chart we have. I know the numbers are a bit off, since its 304 horsepower, not 300, but I used the same chart for both.

Using this dyno chart:

I came up with this speed vs. time graph for the manual. The program refuses to calculate anything before 20 mph, since there are too many factors that affect a launch. I extrapolated to get 0-60 times.

Using this chart, the 0-60 for the manual would be approximately 5.65 seconds. from 20-30 takes .70 second, then extrapolate that down to 0 at that same rate and get 5.65 seconds.

And then, using this chart, I get 5.75 seconds for the auto. It takes .75 seconds to go from 20 to 30, so extrapolating down to 0 adds 1.5 to the 4.25 from 20-60, for a total of 5.75 seconds.

Now, all of these numbers assume that the driver of the manual can shift at the exact same rate as the automatic tranny shifts. A slower shifter in the manual would take longer, and a faster shifter would be able to get even faster. This is also assuming a perfect launch with both transmissions, and no launch or traction control enabled. Its a lot of hypothetical math, but it does bring hope that the real world numbers will turn out a bit in the favor of the manual.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Also, like was mentioned.. RWD vs FWD... No contest. FWD cars just don't have the fun factor that a RWD car has. I absolutely hate how when you get on it in a fwd vehicle there is torque steer, etc.. I feel that when you get on it the only thing you should be worrying about is the rear end breaking loose.

The V6 camaro is going to perform great at things other than just 0-60 times too.. I just don't think you can make a decision like that until you drive the car...

but in the end it's your choice, but I think a lot of people here might not see your logic in just deciding that you are not getting the car because it might be a few tenths slower in the 1/4 mile, especially when it will most likely outperform your car in other categories.

Also, what does an accord even run 0-60 or in the 1/4? I did a little looking around to see if I could find anything, I saw a few mentions of mid 6 second 0-60? I don't know, but it doesn't sound like it is faster than the v6 camaro will be..

Also.. don't take this personal as it is not directed at you, but the accord is ugly. It is not a car I would even look twice at going down the road, whereas the camaro is a car that will turn your head, and is simply sexy/mean looking. Now I know that is all an opinion, but honestly no matter anyones opinion, how could someone tell me that an accord looks mean/sexy looking.. there are no strong or intimidating attributes about it..it just doesn't scream performance car to me.. again all an opinion, but I feel is an accurate description of the car.

So the camaro wins across the board, but again it's your decision in the end..

just my .02

Last edited by Visual_Perfection; 02-11-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

I think the Accord is sexy Camaro is sexier though.

Accord does 0-60 in like 5.5sec. 1/4th in 14 seconds.

I would def. buy the Camaro if I didn't just buy the Accord 6 months ago! I hate having to eat a loss.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Quote:

I would def. buy the Camaro if I didn't just buy the Accord 6 months ago! I hate having to eat a loss.
Very true, no point in taking a loss, I just wasn't sure if you were justifying your sudden decision just based on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

And btw, I didn't realize they were that quick. From what I read I was only finding 0-60 in mid 6 seconds..must have not found the right info

And if you like how it looks that is all that matters, I just think the two cars are a complely different car (maybe not performance wise) but one is a mean looking, muscular car that is RWD, while the other is a FWD "sportyish" car(lol I know not a word, but fits how I see the car)

Heck, feel lucky you have a good job and are able to afford nice things like your car. I am 23 just graduated college after 4 1/2 years, lost the job I was supposed to have right after graduation with the company I did my co-op with this past summer due to the economy, then got another job and moved accross country for it, that fell through when I got here and am now unemployed for almost a month, stuck with my apartment lease and other expenses, still looking for work :( Things are REALLY tough right now for not just me, but everyone who is out of work
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Another thing to think about re: which is faster: when you launch a RWD car, the CG transfers to the back, giving the driving wheels a bit more traction. When you launch a FWD car, that transfer takes weight off the drive wheels.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
No, you're guessing from the peak power and weight. The Camaro has a ton more torque under the curve than the Accord does, and will definitely pull on it. Plus, RWD makes a huge difference in fun to drive factor, not to mention with the house pulling first gear on the camaro.

Also, remember that the camaro pulls more than 10% power improvement from just a cold air intake and catback (1,300 from the factory, even cheaper aftermarket). I think you'll end up regretting your choice. And, heavier/higher horsepower cars will accelerate faster at high speeds because after a time, inertia is no longer the determining resistance factor, but drag.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I don't like to quote myself, but refer to this also.
This post rocks my socks.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:

At least you made up your mind. I think the accord is a good looking car, and I don't say that about many imports. As far as being slow I wouldn't worry about it much, your driving a Honda and there is always a huge aftermarket for Honda's.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
MAROobsession

Drives: 05 Honda Accord V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
At least you made up your mind. I think the accord is a good looking car, and I don't say that about many imports. As far as being slow I wouldn't worry about it much, your driving a Honda and there is always a huge aftermarket for Honda's.
i have the 05 v6 honda with some boltons running a 14.2. I love the honda but the fwd does get a little boring. Is ur 09 a 6spd or auto bc iv pulld one of the new accord v6's from a roll. But i cnt waitfor the ss

also for the accord theres not a big aftertermarket at all.