Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
LADodgerBlueFan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS SIM
PZero Repair Question

I got a low tire pressure message for my rear right tire when I turned on my car this morning (16 psi). It had a small screw on the thread in the middle of the tire. I went to my local tire repair shop and the guy said he knew of some Pirellis that could not or shouldn't be patched up from the inside. He wasn't sure if the PZeros were that type so he recommended a plug. I was wondering if you guys have heard of anything similar regarding the PZeros? I searched around and didn't find anything saying that these tires can't be patched up from the inside. If its fine to do so I may go back and try to get the plug & patch repair.
LADodgerBlueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Had a nail in mine that was leaking... just plugged it no problems. Mentioned patching, but the plug did just fine.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Same here.. just a plug.. there run flats anyway.. no issues with it..
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Plug and Patch for the Gen5's Pirelli P Zero's and they aren't "run flats"................Problems otherwise, heres the details and please remember that under inflated tires may suffer from having weakened sidewalls, a undetectable problem until its too late, causing future high speed seperation. Be careful friend........

Quote:
Flat Tire Repairs

Lea esta página en español

One of the last sights drivers want to see when they are getting ready to drive their vehicle is a flat tire. They realize that in addition to the immediate inconvenience of having to install their spare tire, they will have to get the punctured tire repaired. And if their tire is a steel belted radial (and whose isn't?), it must be repaired immediately to minimize potential long term deterioration started by the puncture. A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.
While almost any sharp object left on the road can cause a puncture, most are caused by small nails and screws (typically less than 1/4" in diameter).
Guidelines allow the repair of punctures in a tire's tread area of up to 1/4" in diameter. Repair of larger tread punctures and of punctures to the tire's shoulder and sidewall areas are not recommended.
There are three primary considerations when repairing a punctured tire. You need to evaluate the damage the object caused as it punctured the tire, reestablish an airtight seal of the tire's innerliner, and completely fill the path the object took through the tire. Typically a mushroom-shaped patch and plug combination repair is considered to be the best method of repairing a punctured steel belted radial.

Any repair attempted without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. Without inspecting the inside of the tire for hidden damage comes the risk of returning a weakened tire to service. Punctures in the tread area that looked repairable have revealed upon further investigation that the object that punctured the tire had been long enough to cut the tire's sidewall from the inside. Without dismounting the tire, the hidden damage would have been missed.
Simply plugging a tire from the outside without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. (If a tire is punctured while off-roading far away from civilization and a spare tire isn't available, a plug may serve as a temporary low speed solution that must be replaced with a proper repair as soon as possible upon returning to the road.)
Additionally, any repair that doesn't completely fill the path the object took through the tire is incomplete. While a patch on the inside of the tire reseals the innerliner, it does not fill the path of the puncture. This will allow moisture to reach the steel belts and/or the casing cords causing them to rust or deteriorate.
Source http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 05-29-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
Coming home from dinner tonight I found a nail in my rear driver side tire. I noticed a "clacking' sound as i pulled in, was hoping to find a rock stuck in the tire but no such luck. It's holding air but i'll be heading to the tire shop in the morning to get it repaired. I've owned my camaro about 14 months and this is the third nail I've picked up in these tires I've never had this much bad luck as far as picking up nails / screws as i have with this car.

and to "marine1991" actually the pirelli P-zeros are not run flats.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
LADodgerBlueFan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Thanks for the info. I got it plugged when I took it in this morning so it shouldn't have been under inflated for too long. I'll plan on on going back and doing the plug and patch in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Plug and Patch for the Gen5's Pirelli P Zero's and they aren't "run flats"................Problems otherwise, heres the details and please remember that under inflated tires may suffer from having weakened sidewalls, a undetectable problem until its too late, causing future high speed seperation. Be careful friend........

Source http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
LADodgerBlueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Good info

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Yeah I paid $40 at my local tire shop last week to repair a nail. They took the tire off the fix it then re balanced it, make sure they take that tire off and such and do it correct.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Last week I drove my kid to work and then went to workout at a local fitness center. As I pull in the parking lot my low tire (right rear) pressure alert comes on. It starts out at 30lbs, then 28lbs, 26lbs as I'm sitting there!! I get out and I hear it before I see it.....a gash across the tread about an inch and a half long. I was actually able to drive seven miles to the dealer before the PZero was flat!! Of course the tire was non-repairable and $330 later I had a new one. Dealer said it looked like someone stuck a knife in it but I had to of driven over something.
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADodgerBlueFan View Post
I got a low tire pressure message for my rear right tire when I turned on my car this morning (16 psi). It had a small screw on the thread in the middle of the tire. I went to my local tire repair shop and the guy said he knew of some Pirellis that could not or shouldn't be patched up from the inside. He wasn't sure if the PZeros were that type so he recommended a plug. I was wondering if you guys have heard of anything similar regarding the PZeros? I searched around and didn't find anything saying that these tires can't be patched up from the inside. If its fine to do so I may go back and try to get the plug & patch repair.

I plugged mine with 5k on the tires, the plug was still holding when I changed the tires at 29k. I checked out the plug from inside, it did a fine job. Also, never had any balance issue.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
you are lucky it could be repaired. i got a screw in the right rear about 1 month after buying my car, and it was too close to the sidewall, so had to buy a new tire, didn't even have plates on my car yet!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
A patch plug is the correct way to repair a tire. A plug only will void any tire warranty and a patch only will void certain tire manufactures warranties on their tires. On the P-Zero's which is a summer hi-performance tire, after it has been repaired, correctly or not the speed rating goes out the window since the integrity of the tire has been compromised. So if your driving at extreme speeds or loading conditions it is not advisable.