Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
A/C Whining Noise

OK I'll start off by saying I saw the recall on the A/C but I've checked my VIN and apparently the case was closed on my car - even though it hasnt even been back to a dealership since the day I drove it off the lot. Anyway, offcially I'm not part of the recall.

However, should I be able to hear a sort of whining noise/belt noise that gets louder under acceleration and is something to do with the A/C?

I have had this noise from Day 1 hence why I am not sure if it should be like this or not.

It sounds like a belt or something that spins faster as I accelerate and then I can hear it slowing down again when I come off the throttle.

I know its the A/C as the noise stops instantly if I turn the A/C off completely.

Wondering if this is actually a problem or this noise is "normal"?

Maybe I should be part of the recall after all??

Last edited by Modern07; 06-16-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I don't think your noise is that same as the problem listed in the recall. It could be several things like your ac pulley, clutch, belt or the ac compressor itself. Bring it in and have the dealership take a look/listen at it.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
VaderSS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6sp
I have two different a/c related "whine" sounds. The first sound is very high pitched, changes with RPM's and can be heard at idle from within the cabin. Sounds like an older car with a bad alternator whine. Dealer says "normal".

Second whine is much lower in tone and most noticeable around 2800 to 3000 RPM's. Especially prevalent when you take your foot off the gas and allow it to slow down. Stops when you turn off the air conditioning. Also described by dealer as "normal".

Others have solved their whine problems with a/c replacement. Guess mine will have to fail completely in order to make that happen. Good luck.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
OP, I've got the same issue. My whine is starts at 2K RPM. I just made an appointment with the local dealership for Friday AM. I will let you know what they find. Mine just started in the last 2 weeks. I've had my Camaro since August, 2010.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
i had that problem and i posted about it on here. turns out there were a whole bunch of people on here with the same problem. the A/C belt was off the pulley by one rib and was squeaking louder and louder the more i drove it. you can see it if you look under the hood. id bet money that you have the same problem too. the service center cut off the belt and put a new one on it and its been fine ever since.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
tainoxl

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrusco103 View Post
i had that problem and i posted about it on here. turns out there were a whole bunch of people on here with the same problem. the A/C belt was off the pulley by one rib and was squeaking louder and louder the more i drove it. you can see it if you look under the hood. id bet money that you have the same problem too. the service center cut off the belt and put a new one on it and its been fine ever since.
Just happened to me belt was slipping off, dealer ordered new belt. Wonder what would cause the belt to jump over a rib?
tainoxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
Just happened to me. My air compressor went. They replaced the compressor and belt. They also reprogrammed my a/c. All covered by warranty. They also gave me a rental for the day.

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Thanks for the responses

I've now got it booked in at my local dealership - dropping off tomorrow.

I will update with what they say on the issue
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Well I just got a call off the dealership - the noise that I'm hearing is "normal"

However, if it's "normal" then I am now wondering why I've never heard anything like it on the 8 other cars with air conditioning that I've owned!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
same issue here
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Modern07, I would have to suggest that you get your vehicle checked by another dealer to get a second opinion on this issue just to make sure everything is as it should be. I hope that helps you. If you continue to have this issue let me know and I'll do what I can for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
No way is it normal. Need to go to another dealership. I think your in the Orlando area. I just got home from Orlando. Too bad im 2 hours away my dealership is great.

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Brought the car in on Friday. They said that they hear the whining coming from the A/C compressor. They had a different Camaro with the same sound before and they replaced the compressor but the whining didn't go away. They were going to compare mine to a new one on the lot but couldn't get it done before end of business. Have to bring the Camaro back after they order some parts for a different issue so they will compare it then.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
My whining persisted and my AC started getting hot n smelly...Car is in the dealership getting a new compressor.
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote