Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
94ChevyCamaroV6

Drives: 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car.
I have a question about sets of Jack stands.

m wondering which of these three Jack stands would be the best for holding up my 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car. I will be doing basic oil changes and I will also be taking the drive shaft out and also checking If the transmission mount needs to have a new one replaced.

These Jack stands can lift 21 Inches but I dont really like the look of the lift on these Its like a u shape and flat shape. Idk they kinda look like the stands have alot of u shape and It might be hard for the bar of a car to fit either In the u or on the edges on each side but Idk. These stands are 3 tons combined so 1.5 tons each and Idk If the other ones are also combined or If they are each three tons. It kinda looks like the car bar would have to fit In the u shape or on the edges and If It doesn’t then they stands are kinda crap but let me know.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...tands.&prdNo=2

These Jack stands can get 16.5 Inches high and have a double locking Jack stand. I think the basic flat shape of these would work better for getting the bar on a car to sit on them. But will 16.5 Inches be enough room to take out a drive shaft and check a transmission mount and possibly replace one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This Jack stand can lift 16.7 Inches and Is basically the same thing as the other Jack stand but doesnt have the double locking thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T43002-T...8213447&sr=1-1

Basically Im wondering what Jack stand I should buy. Which of the shapes would work. Also would 16.5 Inches be enough to take out a drive shaft and check the transmission mount and possibly replace It. I also have a truck thats why I was thinking the 21 Inch ones would work the best but I dont think the u shape with edges would have the car bars sit nice on them as the more flat ones. But tell me If ya think the craftsman shape ones would work as far as the big u shape on them or If I should get the other ones. The craftsman are a combined three which says each are 1.5 tons Idk If other Jack stands are the same. Then.
94ChevyCamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Go with the craftsman. They have a lifetime warranty and you'll be thankful for the extra 5" when the time comes.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
94ChevyCamaroV6

Thats what I was thinking because I also have a truck and Its only a one year warrenty I think but do ya think the u shape will make a difference on where the Jack stand could lift and how wide of bars on the car or would It work normal like the other ones that are more not of a u shape. Then.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Shape doesn't matter. They will hold the weight no problem
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
94ChevyCamaroV6

I wasnt sure If maybe the more not u ones would hold biggers bars but the u shape ones could hold a bar In the u or on the edges but If It was bearly on the edges of the flat part and the u and the car moved that maybe the bar would fall Into one side of the u and have the stands fall over but then again I will have backup bricks but the basic thing I am thinking about Is If the u shape can hold various size bars because It kinda looks like If It was a little bit bigger then the u and It sat right on the edge of the u that It might fall Into the u Idk. Thats why I havent bought them yet. Im not sure If the shape holds bars as well as one without a u. Idk If It makes sense to ya what Im saying but Im basically saying If the car bar was a little bigger than the u and It sat on the edges of the u on the flat part that It might fall Into the u or If the lift Itself Is wide enough for he cars support bar.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
94ChevyCamaroV6

Advice on the u shape as how It will hold the bars of a car well and fit nice even If one was bigger than the u a little bit and sat on the edges If the car moved enough It could fall but I will have extra bricks to hold the car but whats the opinion for the u shape. Then.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
You can always place a piece of wood 4"x4" by 2 inches thick or even 1" on top of the jack stand if you are worried about the U-shape of the stand.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
94ChevyCamaroV6

Oh.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
chiel

Drives: 1959 p/u and s/c ls3 th400

chiel is offline   Reply With Quote