Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to pay for the added cost of forged pistons and rods in the Z28?
Yes, Definitely. Forged internals would increase the value for me. 97 77.60%
Doesn't matter much to me, either way is OK. 18 14.40%
Nope, regular pisons & Rods are fine. 10 8.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Poll: Forged pistons & Rods in Z 28?

Would you be willing to pay for the added cost of forged pistons and rods from the factory in the new Z 28?

UPDATE: new ZL1 that is.

Last edited by Scarrzz; 04-26-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
y from factory when there are aftermarket?
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Are you suggesting a factory option or just that GM add the cost of, say LS9 parts, into the price of Z28 and equip all Z's as such? If you're suggesting GM just add these parts straight off, then, so long as it's reasonable, I'm in. If it bumps the price another thousand or something, I don't really feel it's worth it. I believe the parts in LSA will handle more power than a lot will give it credit for; not LS9 or GT500 power, but there's potential, IMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Scarrzz

I was thinking that I prefer the forged pistons & rods, and it would cost less in both money and headache to have them in place from the factory rather than to have to put them in place later.

I'm really not sure how much more the actual parts would cost.

I would be fine with it being an engine option, but figured there would be less confusion to have all Z28s start with the same internals. Also I figured that most of the huge cost of the LS9 was the hand assembly.

(By the way, there isn't any way to edit/correct my typo in the poll, is there?)

Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
People are not giving the LSA engine enough credit. There is a huge thread in here all about the LSA. To be honest most of the guys on here wont put enough power to the crank to overstress the LSA. As a former V owner, that kind of burns me up cause most people don't even know what this block is capable of!
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
People are not giving the LSA engine enough credit. There is a huge thread in here all about the LSA. To be honest most of the guys on here wont put enough power to the crank to overstress the LSA. As a former V owner, that kind of burns me up cause most people don't even know what this block is capable of!
Anything above 700hp I would start to worry about the pistons.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't want to pay, because I don't plan on exceeding the limits of the engine (which are VERY high).

If you want eleventy-billion hp, it's my very humble opinion, that you should pay for it -- not expect the factory to 'prepare' your car for you, and stick the rest of us with a charge for essentially, nothing.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Scarrzz

Counterpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't want to pay, because I don't plan on exceeding the limits of the engine (which are VERY high).

If you want eleventy-billion hp, it's my very humble opinion, that you should pay for it -- not expect the factory to 'prepare' your car for you, and stick the rest of us with a charge for essentially, nothing.

Fair enough, and it's a reasonable opinion, Dragoneye. I wouldn't even ask the question if it were the 2SS we were talking about, but the Z28 is going to be exceptional in many ways. If it was assembled in a normal manner rather than having everything hand polished like the LS9, I don't think the cost of trading up to forged pistons and rods would be too terribly much. That way we wouldn't need to replace perfectly good new equipment with even better new equipment.

That would also make it cheaper for the aftermarket performance folks to go big with Z28 mods, because it's one less thing to change.

You're right, I don't need it, but I'd be willing to pay for it if I can get it - even as an option, which would be fine with me.

How much difference is there between the price of the parts alone? I wouldn't even know where to look for that answer.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
thedak
416ci - LS3 - 537/501

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Send a message via AIM to thedak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
As a former V owner, that kind of burns me up cause most people don't even know what this block is capable of!
Those powder rods are good for 700hp max.

Pistons are about the same as long as the tune is on.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:

It has nothing to do with the HP ceiling. A bad tank of gas, a humid day, a not-so-good tune are all real world things that could happen to anyone and those hyperexplodeits are not going to stand up to detonation. The forged slugs are more for insurance.

If GM doesn't put them in it will end up like the rear-ends in the 3rd and 4th gen cars. For a small amount of money they could save everyone a ton of headaches.

A quick search on supercharged LS1's and LS2's is all you will need to be a believer. I don't care what this one says or that one says, real world testing has shown time and time again that forged is the way to go for forced induction.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post

How much difference is there between the price of the parts alone? I wouldn't even know where to look for that answer.

Good question since everyone likes to talk about it being so "expensive". A good set of forged LS7 pistons costs about $750. I can't even find hyperexplodeits for a LS motor after a quick search. Lets say they are $300-400. That is MY price as a consumer, don't tell me that GM can't get forged pistons for a lot cheaper than I can.

Is an extra $500 on a $45K+ car that big a deal? They already have to assemble the engine so putting in a different piston isn't going to cost them anything.

Rods run from $700-1400 depending on the brand. I am not nearly as concerned about the rods as I am the pistons.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:

When you're paying $50k+ for a pony car, you should expect an engine that can be described as nothing less than magic.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Some things are a necessity and some things are nice to have. GM builds production cars to sell. Not production cars with overbuilt race spec engines. It's not necessary but would be nice. It's worth it to me but I can see why GM won't do it on the LSA.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
It has nothing to do with the HP ceiling. A bad tank of gas, a humid day, a not-so-good tune are all real world things that could happen to anyone and those hyperexplodeits are not going to stand up to detonation. The forged slugs are more for insurance.
I trust GM engineering more than I trust people who claim their cars exploded because of a bad tank of gas...sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
When you're paying $50k+ for a pony car, you should expect an engine that can be described as nothing less than magic.
Now...THERE'S a good excuse!!

But what if it's under 50? Will 'Phenomenal' work?

Tags
forged, internals, pistons, poll, rods