Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #127
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Where are all the dealership guys when you need them?

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #128
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i talked to Al Oppenhieser FACE TO FACE and he said the manual is faster. end of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
at Indy they told us the #'s have been steadily increasing...hp was going to "most likely creep up from there" meaning the 422hp LS3. There was a lot. I know that's what has been put up so far...and that is RIGHT...according to GM and the solid proven #'s they have right now. But, we were told they have gone faster. So, it's more of a wait and we'll see thing.

Welcome to the site SScattergunSS and thanks for jumping in! Glad to have you aboard!

Those are some pretty good #'s, huh!

This is where I need headpunter...or Hylton...to refresh my memory. I remember being told the LS3 went 4.6....right headpunter? Hope I'm right on this....

Headpunter is dead on - any performance numbers that have been published thus far are from cars which were not production tuned. Al has said that there is no difference to this car vs. any other car which offers an automatic and manual version - the manual version is always quicker.

How can a 400hp, slush box with a 3:23 gear be faster than a 422hp, manual 6 speed with a 3:42 gear? Yes an automatic can shift gears faster than a human but this speed cannot compensate for the A) 22 HP difference, B) loss in HP from automatics due to the fact that the power is actually transferred through liquid and not direct mechanicals as a manual and C) automatic cars will have a taller rear end gear.

Now - as indicated earlier, if an electronically shifted sequential gearbox was offered as an automatic (as in the M3), with the same HP and rear end gear ratio as the manual was offered, I would agree that it would be faster.

The laws of physics will win out everytime. For those who are not convinced, look at the performance numbers of a 2002 SS Camaro where the LS1 had the same HP regardless of which transmission you had.
Wait for the production cars to be tested by the magazines.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #129
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Haven't had a chance to read thru this entire thread -- but there is nothing to worry about -- at this point.

Calm down.

We can't build 100% V8 -- (no one can -- and in order to understand why you need to look at supply chains.....)

Much ado about nothing.........
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #130
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Haven't had a chance to read thru this entire thread -- but there is nothing to worry about -- at this point.

Calm down.

We can't build 100% V8 -- (no one can -- and in order to understand why you need to look at supply chains.....)

Why hasn't the supply chain made proper provisions to allow the V8 build? Are you saying that it's impossible for the foundry to make 5,000 additional V8's between now and March? How many can they make and when will the last individual who has already ordered his V8 get his car?

I am assuming that the bottle neck is in the drivetrain somewhere.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #131
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:

Calm down.

Are they being built by who ordered first or is it going to be divided by certain color's or group option combination's?

I know this has nothing to do with V8 production but if anybody should get delayed out of getting their initial floor allotment orders, it should be those dealers marking up the price by $5,000 found in this forum and others. Since you can't change their allotment, at the very least make them wait before they get theirs and then give more allotments to those reputable dealers that we know of.. Scott, I hope something is being done internally about these dealers that lie, cheat and use bait and switch tactics like the one I encountered with Kendall Chevrolet of Miami, Florida... Those types shouldn't be rewarded with any early on so they can display them with huge markups on the lot in my opinion.. Build the V8's first for those dealers that actually sell at MSRP since they should be rewarded for doing that..

EDIT: Scott said later on there will be no delays for the initial SS orders and for all of us not to worry.

Last edited by Supermans; 10-29-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #132
SB007
Superbike Racer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK 6M
Fewer Corvettes ... Hmmmm ... more V8 Engines for the Camaro ?

"GM said it will shut down its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant for one week beginning Nov. 24 and plans to shut down its plant in Bowling Green, Ky., beginning Dec. 1, said GM spokesman Chris Lee."

Maybe someone has a plan ....
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #133
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
wow and they were pushen the v6 camaro alot to. i guess the ss name is more popular than a 300hp v6 camaro. goo gm keep sellen these camaros like there is no tommorow
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #134
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
All this does is give me more time to save. Not in a rush, it also gives me time to mod my current Chevy toy. I will be watching though. As soon as I can get one ordered with out a long wait and at sticker then I will get one. You guys that have chomping at the bit, can't wait to see ya on the road in your new car.
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #135
sdimess84

Drives: 1996 SS S10
Would you think it would be safe to order a 2ss model this thursday and still recieve it on time (feb/march)?
sdimess84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #136
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimess84 View Post
Would you think it would be safe to order a 2ss model this thursday and still recieve it on time (feb/march)?
Depends on what you order, how much they are selling it for, and if you can find a dealer who still has allotment available.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #137
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimess84 View Post
I would like to hear Scott's answer to your question. If I am reading Scott's previous email correctly, very few of us will get out cars this spring.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #138
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think this is very encouraging - at least that demand is so high for these cars. Even if they can't build all of the V8 orders right away I think it still shows there's a market for Camaro and there are still people who are very enthusiastic about it.

I don't think any complaining about GM's ability to build more V8s than V6s is going to do any good though. I don't recall there being more V8 sales for the 4th Gen. than V6 sales, and who do you think the V6 is going to appeal to more? Aside from enthusiasts, a person who just thinks the car car is cool and gets good mileage. They may not care about tradition or laying two strips of rubber for a couple hundred feet. They want a high quality car that looks beautiful that will get them from Point A to Point B in style, comfort, safely, and economically. The V6 cars are probably what are going to keep Camaro alive, so I wouldn't bite the hands that feed.

Finally, please keep comments to 'Father respectful. I won't stand to read posts persecuting him for things out of his control; it is not his responsibility to make sure GM has enough engines and whatnot to accommodate orders - that's someone elses job, so please keep comments and questions respectful to him and anyone else from the Team. This car is just coming out and I'm sure they're still trying to work out all the details. It's going to be a rough first half of '09, I'm sure, to get things rolling smoothly because I'm sure the last thing GM wants is for customers to be unhappy about their product. This may be the most anticipated product they've had in a while - I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to keep us as happy as they can.

Respectfully

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #139
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:

Calm down.

If I understand what Scott is saying, not so much as can't, they won't build off balance #s just to satisfy a few. 6000 sounds like a huge number, but it's small compared to the 80-100,000 projected. Yes they want to produce all the cars us enthusiasts have ordered, but they also need to build some V6 models for the dealers lot and the general public. (The supply chain). (Marketing)

The pre orders will be built as soon as possible. But they need to mix in a healthy quantity of LS, LT's. Just because we pre ordered does not mean our cars will be the entire first run. Like everyone who ordered SS, I would love to get my SS in late Feb or early Mar. I am also prepared to wait till late Mar or April. It's like a painter on another thread, who works at the Oshowa assembly plant, said. Because of the robotics systems the can make a red car, then black, the silver then........ They can build any trim level in line with other trim levels. It just may take a bit longer to get all of our SS Camaros.

That's my two cents worth. I don't recall seeing or hearing any gaurantees by GM as to what they will build first. I will be happy to get mine when I get it, I don't have to be the first in line or first in town to draw attention. We will get the attention regardless of when we get our cars.

Some of this thread needs to be merged with: Stop Bitching!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8990
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #140
Evilkosh99

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:

Calm down.

OK. Scott says calm down - I calm down

"Patiently waiting"
Evilkosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote