Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I concur... lifters. Not a big deal. Mine does not do it but i have had cars that did.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
normal.mine does the same thing if i let it set and the weather is cold.just oil getting to the lifters.not to worry everything is fine.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Question L99 cold start tic, tic, tic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyg1rl View Post
I'll give a listen. My dealer told me to watch the read line but drive it any way I liked, so I did. Have you readlined over 4K?
Well, I have an auto and I've floored it a bunch of times (like 10) after 300 miles on it. If you do that it will shift at about 6200 rpms (that's the redline for the auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
Mine started about at 300 miles. You really hear it if your up next to a wall. Dealer said that they have to hear last more than a minute before they can do anything.
Mine is in the garage. I'd say it does it for 1 sec - 2 secs max until the oil presure comes up only on a cold start so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Mine does it too - it's lifter noise.
To me it doesn't sound like a lifter noise. It sounds like a rod bearing before it gets oil pressure, but anything is possible and this all could be normal for this engine for all I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I can almost bet money that this is your fuel pump that is causing the ticking, which is pretty normal. If you guys had more miles on your cars I would say take some fuel logs, but if there was something else going on with fueling you'd know.

OP, I found this video. Watch until he puts the camera on top of his battery, that is what I imagined you to be talking about which is a fuel pump "clicking"

It's definatetly not the fuel pump, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Does the sound come from the rear of the car? If so, then yes I hear the same ticking noises. Somewhere around here, somebody said that it was some sort of relay, but it's too early in the morning for me to remember
No, it's not from the rear. If it were the fuel pump you should be able to turn the key on and let the fuel pump build up pressure and hear those tics. But I will go turn the key one first and listen for tics for a min and then start the car. Just to listen for the fuel pump relay you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
There was a post yesterday saying that GM was going to start using some lifers this spring that didn't bleed down as fast. Hopefully this change will be for both the L99 and LS3. The sound that's described sounds like hydraulic lifters until they pump back up with oil.
Maybe it is, But I've heard lifter noises and connecting rod noises before. to me this doesn't sound like a lifter. I stand outside the car. I push the remote start, the starter turns the motor, ignition, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, or rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, and then the oil pressure comes up within two seconds and it's gone. If I shut it off and turn it back on it won't do it. it does it cold or after sitting for a long long time.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
So flooring it a few times or ten from 10mph until/up to 80 mhp (where that would be legal) with 300 miles on the car shouldn't be a factor?

Why would it. Also with the (where that would be legal) Really every effing thread on this site where someone might go 1mph over the limt, they get some sort of talk about it. Its ridiculous.

Yes its more than likely lifter noise. You can data log it if you want, but ticking doesnt really sound like rod knock, and rod knocks dont really go away because of oil pressure. The crank and rods have oil pressure way faster than lifters too.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
2010 Bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Vincent Price View Post
Why would it. Also with the (where that would be legal) Really every effing thread on this site where someone might go 1mph over the limt, they get some sort of talk about it. Its ridiculous.

Yes its more than likely lifter noise. You can data log it if you want, but ticking doesnt really sound like rod knock, and rod knocks dont really go away because of oil pressure. The crank and rods have oil pressure way faster than lifters too.
Your right a rod knock would not go away. It would be louder when it's cold. But what if it was just starting..

With these aluminum v-8s all the sounds travel, and it can be really hard to find the noise.

I guess one of the real questions is does all of yours do it? Open your door and listen to your car the next time you start it after it has sat for like 12 hrs and it's cold. If they all do it.. Well then I will have less to worry about.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ive had lsx motors for 5 years, the valvetrain has been noisey in every motor. I dont even pay it a seconds notice anymore, but yes it ticks. Take off your engine covers and see if it gets louder.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #21
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
normal.mine does the same thing if i let it set and the weather is cold.just oil getting to the lifters.not to worry everything is fine.
me too its ok

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
2010 Bumblebee

Arrow L99 Ticking Video #1

I don't remember if I already started it today because I start it at least twice a day and look at it. I just stare at it all the time.

Anyway I made a video of it starting. Maybe you guys can tell me if my motor sounds like yours and if it sound normal for a L99 starting up. Just to ease my worries.

Tonight When I get home from work I'll make another video and throw it up here just to make sure it was definately a cold start, becuase I'm not sure now if hear the noise I was looking for. Listen to the first few seconds of the engine starting maybe it is there. The ticking in the video seems to get quieter as the motor build up oil pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdonnaru.../0/wMT1CnAvGHk
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
Bob
coffeemanbob

Drives: 4Malibus,Z28.....back when!
Yes mine has done same thing since birth! I have a racer friend and he says its normal for that engine. No big deal.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
mine has never tapped that long maybe 3 seconds tops, i would def. bring it to the dealer on that one its not serious yet but it should not tap for that long one of the lifters or push rods is noisy or a rocker, may need adjusting.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
2010 Camaro RS

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo
Can you describe this tic, tic, tic,???
2010 Camaro RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #26
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
Mine does it too. When is first started in the morning. just for a Second.
Its the lifters no big deal.
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
I dont get it,no big deal.If you wanted to sell your car and a buyer wanted to hear it run,do you think he will purchase your car with a lifter tick?Do you think that he will believe you when you tell him that is normal?I have the same problem and I for one do not feel that is a normal engine condition.GM knows about this and is redesigning a lifter for this normal condition,you are letting them off the hook.I am raising hell about mine with GM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #28
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
It sounds just like a lifter from my experience, but takes too long go quiet down. I still heard it over 30 seconds into the video. It isn't a rod.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote