Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Mustang Premium Pricing Revealed

Link

Mustang GT Premium - $30,095
Ambient Lighting, Bright Aluminum Accent Dash Applicques, Pedal Covers, Scuff Plate & Shift Knob, Cupholders, Door Trim Panel Inserts, Front & Rear Footwells, Gloss Pain Center Stack & Console, Leather Stearing Wheel w/ Aluminum spokes, 6 months Sirius Satellite Radio, Satin Door Speaker Surrounds, SYNC, 18″ Spoke Aluminum Wheels, 6-Guage Cluster w/ MyColor, 6-way Power Adjustable Driver’s Seat w/ 2-way Adjustable Head Restraint & Power Lumbar, Shaker 500 Audio System

Security Package (43S) - $995
Active Anti-Theft System, Wheel Locking Kit

Comfort Package (53B)- $575
Heated Driver & Passenger Seat, 6-way power passenger seat, electronic mirror w/ compass

GT Track Package (67T) - $1,445
Dual Piston Calipers, Performance Brake Pads, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Recalibrated Stability Control

Electronics Package (85X) - $2,700
Voice Activated Navigation System: In-Dash Screen, Single DVD/CD/MP3 Player, DVD Audio/Video Capability, Interanal Hard Disk Drive for Map, POI Storage, 10GB Jukebox, Support for SYNC & Other Multi-Media Devices (Audio Input Jack), Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control

Over the Top Racing Stripes Package (47A) - $395

High Intensity Discharge Headlamps (51H) - $525

Exterior Standard Equipment:

* Exhaust Tips (Dual Bright Rolled)
* Fog Lamps
* Grille (With Black Chrome ‘Pony’)
* Automatic Headlamps
* Dual Power Mirrors with Body Color Caps (Side Mounted)
* LED Sequential Tail lights
* 18″ Polished Aluminum wheels (w/Spare Steel Wheel and Mini-Spare Tire)

Interior Standard Equipment:

* Driver & Passenger Airbags (Side Impact, Dual Front)
* Manual controlled Air Conditioning
* Locking center console with full Armrest and Storage
* Two covered cupholders
* Power door locks
* Color Keyed Front floor mats
* Illuminated Entry
* Chrome Accent Instrument Cluster with Four Guages & Register Vents
* Center High Mounted Dome Lamps
* Child Latch System (rear seats)
* Front door map pockets
* Bucket seats with 4-way Manual Adjust Feature
* Tilt Steering wheel with Speed Control Feature
* Trunk Release
* Power windows (One-Touch Down/Up Front)

Functional Equipment:

* 4.6L OHC 3V V-8 Engine
* Ducktail Spoiler
* Advance Trac With Electronic Stability Control
* Easy Fuel Capless Fuel Filler
* Engine Cover
* Personal Safety System (For Driver & Front Passenger)
* Rear Window Defroster
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Side Intrusion Door Beams
* SOSPOST Crash Alert System
* Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Wow. A 2SS is only just a few hundred dollars more then a GT of equal equipment and depending on the equipment you want on the GT, a 2SS/RS is cheaper.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I wonder what an "Easy Fuel Capless Fuel Filler" is...

Also, looks like Ambient Lighting is a new trend
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
so much for the Stang' being more affordable.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
They're going to need about 75 horsepower more to justify that price
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
so much for the Stang' being more affordable.
Unless a 3k difference isn't more affordable I have no idea where you are coming from here. Even if you add in the heated seats needed to match the 2SS content level the Mustang GT Premium still stickers for more than a grand less than even a base 1SS.

That trend will continue with the 5.0L powered 2011 GT as that car is going to start just under 30k and will include the ugraded brakes listed in the Track Package above. In Premium trim that car will start just under 32k.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
They're going to need about 75 horsepower more to justify that price
All they've got on the Camaro is weight. The price is about the same, and the power is far too low. This competition is like calling a basketball game between Kansas and Iowa State a competition.

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
All they've got on the Camaro is weight.
And about 3 grand, and that is comparing apples to apples. There are finer points which don't work in GM's favor, like the fact that you have to get a 2SS Camaro to get leather while a Mustang Premium carries that feature as standard for barely over 30k. Yes, a Mustang Premium doesn't cover all the same bases the 2SS does without adding a few other options, but that is only attractive for somebody looking at a leather equipped car if they happen to actually want those other options.

IMHO Ford made a mistake by removing so many a'la carte options, like the ability to order leather by itself, forcing buyers to go to packages like the Premium Package if they want leather. I believe that move will cost Ford some buyers. With the Camaro GM has taken that 'package only' concept and gone a step if not two further. I understand the argument for this strategy, but I don't think it will work out in either companies favor and I think that GM's more extreme take on the same will work out even worse than Ford's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
The price is about the same,
I don't think Joe Consumer is going to be as happy to overlook the price difference as you are. As it relates to the 2SS these prices compare surprisingly similat to how the 2005 Mustang GT compared to the Pontiac GTO, and we all remember how well that worked out for GM. The 1SS changes things a bit, but the question there is how much a more decontented, more basic GTO option packcage would have helped overall sales.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Wow.. that knocked that off my list utterly totally and completely....

Id rather have a challenger than a mustang now... on price alone..
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
And about 3 grand, and that is comparing apples to apples. There are finer points which don't work in GM's favor, like the fact that you have to get a 2SS Camaro to get leather while a Mustang Premium carries that feature as standard for barely over 30k.

I don't think Joe Consumer is going to be as happy to overlook the price difference as you are. As it relates to the 2SS these prices compare surprisingly similat to how the 2005 Mustang GT compared to the Pontiac GTO, and we all remember how well that worked out for GM. The 1SS changes things a bit, but the question there is how much a more decontented, more basic GTO option packcage would have helped overall sales.
It really is comparing apples to apples. The problem is that GM's apples are better. They're faster, and they're more advanced (standard features, like IRS). I also feel that the new Mustang is not much of an improvement and that some changes are actually bad changes, like changing the nice tail lights.

I agree that the GTO didn't do as well as the Mustang for a lot of reasons. What GM has working for it now is the idea that the Mustang, has been driving around the streets for a while. The new one isn't really different enough to call it an update, so let's call it a lazy facelift. The Camaro is new. The GTO was new when the Mustang was new, so it was strategically a bad time to release a new car. It stole a little of the Mustang's thunder, but the Camaro wills steal it all because it is being released against a car that is already on the streets with too few changes to make it as revolutionary as an altogether new car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Wow.. that knocked that off my list utterly totally and completely....

Id rather have a challenger than a mustang now... on price alone..
I am still uncertain how this price could change previously held opinions so much. The price hike on a Mustang premium for the 2010MY is within sniffing distance of $500.00. If you want to argue that the car is over-priced be my guest, but I don't think it makes sense to argue that a roughly $500 price hike over the old 2009MY price was the deal breaker here.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It really is comparing apples to apples. The problem is that GM's apples are better. They're faster, and they're more advanced (standard features, like IRS).
The Camaro will be faster, for about a year. You will also pay for those extra apples. I am still unconvinced that the Camaro's relatively premium pricing wont hurt it.

Quote:
I also feel that the new Mustang is not much of an improvement and that some changes are actually bad changes, like changing the nice tail lights.
I appreciate your opinion, but in the end we don't yet know how universal that opinion will be. To my eye, completely naked, the new Mustang looks a lot better, sleeker, and meaner than the old car did. And in my experience most folks feel the new interior is a massive improvement. We'll see how universal that opinion is in short order as well, but I think the Mustang interior is easily the best looking of the three and the same goes for the interior.

Quote:
I agree that the GTO didn't do as well as the Mustang for a lot of reasons. What GM has working for it now is the idea that the Mustang, has been driving around the streets for a while. The new one isn't really different enough to call it an update, so let's call it a lazy facelift. The Camaro is new. The GTO was new when the Mustang was new, so it was strategically a bad time to release a new car. It stole a little of the Mustang's thunder, but the Camaro wills steal it all because it is being released against a car that is already on the streets with too few changes to make it as revolutionary as an altogether new car.
If I had to venture a guess I would argue that your take on all of this is pretty similar to what GM was and is thinking. Ultimately I think the changes to the Mustang's styling will prove more sweeping than some currently think. The only sticking point IMO is the holdover engine, and that will only be an issue for one model year and, of course, with the lower power rating comes a noticeably lower sticker price.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
I am still uncertain how this price could change previously held opinions so much. The price hike on a Mustang premium for the 2010MY is within sniffing distance of $500.00. If you want to argue that the car is over-priced be my guest, but I don't think it makes sense to argue that a roughly $500 price hike over the old 2009MY price was the deal breaker here.
I actually had to go look that up... and I am STILL amazed that the 09 pricing was raised aswell.. I had thought the GT premium was in the 27k range.... SOOO not only is the mustang out of my own personal consideration as of today.. it was as of the 09 model year.

My reasoning is more than price, First I prefer the styling of both the chally and camaro over the mustang (even the 2010 model). Second.. you get more.. reguardless of what you think.. for roughly the same money (within 2kish).

For a camaro I am looking at either the 1ss or 2ss
For the challenger I am looking at the R/T w 6 speed

The mustang does not offer a 6 speed manual, does not have IRS and is still the 4.6 3v (Yea yea yea the 5.0 is rumored.. but until its official its just speculation). The only thing the mustang had going for it in my opinion is the fact that Whipple kits (and supporting mods) are already on the market and readily available.. and would fit my plans.. BUT that puts it up in the high 30's range for the same HP and handling of a chally or camaro.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
word ^

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote